New Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It been a while since we started our project. I have found out so much from this site I thought I'd share some pictures of the work we are doing, starting with the kitchen but we are doing similar in the whole house.

This is a DIY job but we do get people in for certain trades where it is simply not cost effective to do it ourselves or requires a particular skill.

My wife and I both work full time so it is taking a while.

The new kitchen is going where the dining room used to be, the house certainly was in need of modernisation.

We removed all the wallpaper. We didn't originally plan it but the concrete floor was not in great condition so we took the opportunity to get someone to dig it up as we did the whole 65sqm ground floor.

Insulated and installed underfloor heating. We did get a professional to screed the floor. Very impressed with the job they did.

There was chimney in the room that went through the centre of the house. We had originally thought we would leave it as it seemed a lot of work to remove it but we had a leak in the roof and when I got a roofer in to check it he said he could remove the chimney to below the roof line. Seemed a good price so that enabled us to remove it completely. This made more difference to the room above but allowed more space in this room.

The new kitchen design incorporates a corner cupboard and ducting for a whole house heat recovery system.

We got an electrician in and then plaster boarded ready for plastering.

Plasterer came in and skimmed the whole room.

Room painted and starting the tiled floor, I am glad the screed was done well and level.

Fitted the kitchen and electrician has finished the lights.

Just need a worktop, doors and finish off the plumbing and this room is nearly done.

Sponsored Links
Looks good,

Is that an Ikea kitchen? I am thinking about getting an Ikea kitchen and fitting myself.

Did you fit it yourself, if so, how did you find it?

Thanks
Gumbie

It is a Wren Kitchen. We didn't go for Ikea as the back of their units fits flush with the wall which doesn't leave room for pipes.

Price wise the Wren kitchen was very competitive and having them ready built meant installing them was very easy. We are very pleased with what we have received and yes, we have fitted them ourselves.

Currently getting quotes for a granite worktop so will add photo when done.

Sponsored Links
Looks like its coming along nicely.

Should be a really smart kitchen when its finished!!

Looks good if you're getting granite worktops is to ask how much the price would change if you did the templates and fitted yourself their just held on with like of no more nails

Built in corner cupboard seems to makes best use of the space and makes room for the ventilation unit to be out the way.

We've not put granite worktop in but fitted the laminate ones we bought with the kitchen. We couldn't find a colour that we thought would match but have a very plain brown worktop that complements the units. Sounds horrible but looks good.

With the money we've saved we have got a tiler in to tile the bathrooms. We just want to get it done.

No not at all, I do not work in the building trade at all, just a keen amateur.

Thanks for the link re kitchens, I have a few made to measure doors to buy for other things around the house so will check them out.

Not sure I am the right person to manage your project. Very interested to hear what you are doing though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back