New Laminate floor and Skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to lay a real wood laminate floor and also replacing the skirting board.

Is it ok to have the skirting on top of the board and have the expansion gap under the board or is this asking for trouble?

Also with the weather being hot should I make the expansion slightly less or is it likely to expand more at colder/wetter times of the year?

Meblin

Sponsored Links
Meblin said:
I am about to lay a real wood laminate floor and also replacing the skirting board.

Is it ok to have the skirting on top of the board and have the expansion gap under the board or is this asking for trouble?

Also with the weather being hot should I make the expansion slightly less or is it likely to expand more at colder/wetter times of the year?

Meblin
Hi Meblin. See here why your first sentence made me smile, no pun intended.

You can leave your skirting boards on top of the floor, no problems.

concerning the expansion gap, it's not so much the temperate as the air humidity you have to keep in mind: high (like now) means the wood, when properly acclimatized) will absorb moist from the air.
In this time of the year a normal expansion gap of 10 - 15mm is sufficient.
Hope this helps

Many thanks for the reply.

Your other post also made me smile. We have the Engineered type of flooring and I will use this term from now on :)

Meblin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back