New Leaking Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

About a year ago we had our utility room roof replaced as it was an asbestos roof and starting to leak. We got a few quotes and went for a builder who was recommended to us. He replaced the roof with concrete tiles, which shortly after started to leak. This was down to the downpipe from the main roof exiting onto the utility room roof. He rectified this by extending it to exit elsewhere. Problem solved we thought.

All was well for about 7 months, then just before christmas it started to leak in 2 other places. I have contacted him on several occasions and left messages on his answerphone but he never comes to sort out the problem.

I believe and have been told that the tiles aren't suitable for the pitch of the roof, I did question this when he came out to provide a quote but he said certain tiles would be fine.

I am now at the point of thinking that he won't come and sort it out. I am looking for advice on how to proceed.

Please help.

Paul :D

Sponsored Links
what is the pitch of the roof? (angle) and which tiles have been used? any pictures?

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not entirely sure what the pitch is its quite low, not sure what the tiles are either. How do you work out the pitch?

Another builder said they were the wrong tiles for that pitch and the builder that did the job has used sealant along the edges of the tiles.

Will try and get some pictures.

Thanks

Paul. :D

you need to measure the amount the roof rises over a set distance, then do some trigonometry, or post your findings here and someone will tell you.

e.g. - it rises 1" over a 12" distance, or 20cm over a 30cm distance.

Is going below a tiles minimum pitch a building regs issue?

Gary

Sponsored Links
If the original roof was asbestos sheets - what about the extra weight of the concrete tiles - wether they are correct for the pitch or not :idea:

Thanks for the replies. :D

I'll have to get my tape measure and camera out this weekend.

Thanks again

Paul :D

The first and perhaps most obvious place to look for a roof leak is directly above the leak in a ceiling or exterior wall. Use a flashlight to inspect the attic floor over the leak while it's raining. Look for standing water, water stains, mold, wet insulation or other exposed insulation.Examine the underside of the roof for wetness or mold around points of penetration (plumbing vents, chimneys), wherever different roof planes intersect (valleys) and near dormers.A leak away from such locations suggests a problem in the roofing material.Take measurements from points inside that you can also locate from outside.If your ceiling is attached to roof rafters, as would be the case for a cathedral ceiling, all you can do from inside is take the measurements that will help you locate the leak externally, and attempt to control the damage internally.

Contact your local roofing contractor for further help.

Why do people reply to these old threads? Do they search the forum randomly to find these threads or scroll down the list or what? :confused:

confused.jpg

Well yea true but you know what I mean, the OP's not added anything to the thread which as it was about a leak you could assume he may have sorted it now. Probably not a good example of an old thread resurrected for me to post on though I grant you.

I don't believe it is an old thread, only a month old.

Not sorted yet as still waiting for the builder to respond to my phone calls and letters.

Paul. :D

If the original roof was asbestos sheets - what about the extra weight of the concrete tiles - wether they are correct for the pitch or not :idea:

My first thought too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back