new ligh - 2 cables in - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

pls help. im a semi confident DIY'er but ......
i have removed a ceiling rose that had 2 cables coming in, each cable had a blue, a brown and an earth.
i removed the rose without noting the config (stupid me)

the new light has a chop block type fitting, i have put both blues in one port and both browns in the other port.
in the bottom of the box was a dry L and N sticker. i can see they were originally on the hop block but have become detached!

the lights instructions said "no need to earth" (something about being double earthed i think) so i used the single chop block they provided and joined them together.

when i flicked the fuse back on for the ring it popped straight off!.

please can anyone tell me what i should do i thought this was quite simple but in my mind roses normally have 3 cables coming in (in and out for ring and switch) but this isnt my bag.

HELP!!! :oops:

Sponsored Links
did any of the N have a brown or red sleeve on it? because one of the N is a live wire

I would suspect this is like most fittings which you say you're familiar with, just with no out feed to other lights, i.e. it's the last light on the loop (lighting circuits are not wired as a complete ring, i.e. they don't go back to the CU).

i.e. one cable is permanent live, the other goes to the switch, so you need to identify which one this is, and then wire permanent live to the live to the switch, permanent neutral to the light, and the switched live to the light, and join the earths - job done...

Sponsored Links
thanks for such a speedy response, much apriciated.
give me a screw driver and a Pc or a Pc and a large hammer anyday!

1/Coljack.......im not sure i know what that is but i bald so if you mean co-jack, im sitting right here mate :)
sorry slow day in the office.

2/i hate to say i but i dont understand " did any of the N have a Brown etc...." N is negative and negative is blue isnt it? Leeco, you know your stuff and you have lost me mate :) the two cables each contained a br, Bl and G/Y.

3/ last light on the loop! i was struggeling to paint a picture in my mind, gottcha.

ill give your comments a go tonight, thanks gents and if i dont mail a response it went bad.......real Bad.

cheers. :D

N is neutral (there is no negative in an Alternating Current (AC) system). Normally a blue wire is neutral, but it is also used as a switched live. Leeco was saying that in theory it should have a bit of brown sleeving / tape on it to indicate this, but unfortunately people quite often miss this out, at which point you have to figure out which of the two wires is the switch wire (if you have a multimeter, this is quite easy, if not, then it's a bit more tricky...)

Rebuke - cheers mate, much apriciated, your a star.

Leeco - i now see the light and fully understand the "where is coljack" comment, i read the thread!
im so glad you guys replyied and not him, i would have had to take my hammer on a road trip if i was referred to in such a lowly manner..
but i do understand his point , i used to have to talk people through reinstalling windowns over the phone all day every day and quite often hung up thinknig "foolish users THEY are all stupid" . not nice but when your an expert everyone seems retarded :D

i have printed off all your guidence and will give a go tonight.

thanks a million chaps.

:rolleyes: where is coljack

sorry, I was busy running round paris ( well virtually anyway.. ) looking for green doors and counting trees..

don't ask.. :rolleyes:

oh great, I have one bad day and suddenly get a reputation for spelling out what the poster of that thread had done wrong..?

the information I gave him was simple and straight forward, in nice capital letters where the important info was so that he could see it..

Maybe I shouldn't have started off with a bit of an attitude to answering the same question for the 177th time.. and probably the 20th that week, everyone's entitled to a bad day now and again..

I've got a great idea.!!!!

Why don't we create a special area on this forum (we could call it FAQ, or WIKI). In this section we could put diagrams and information on the most commonly asked questions (like this one).

That way we wouldn't have to answer the same question over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: where is coljack

sorry, I was busy running round paris ( well virtually anyway.. ) looking for green doors and counting trees..

don't ask.. :rolleyes:

oh great, I have one bad day and suddenly get a reputation for spelling out what the poster of that thread had done wrong..?

the information I gave him was simple and straight forward, in nice capital letters where the important info was so that he could see it..

Maybe I shouldn't have started off with a bit of an attitude to answering the same question for the 177th time.. and probably the 20th that week, everyone's entitled to a bad day now and again..

we all have bad days mate I found that thread funny as i can understand how many times people come here with this problem :LOL:

When their taking the old fitting down they should look at the wires and what they do, it cant be hard to work out and then mark them if their is no sleeving or even look in a book and learn about how lights work.

it's just that it's pretty idiot proof to change a ceiling rose for a non rose light if it's just 2 sets of cables..

open it up, see 2 reds in the middle ( or browns now.. ).. connected to themselves and nothing else..

one black on one end, and the another black on the other end.. connected to the 2 wires from the light bulb...

Coljack,

sorry mate, no offense intended, i laughed when i read your post and can understand what it feels like. in another life i had to deal with "those people"

All,
took a picture and sent it to a mate who lives with a sparky, he said it looks fine and did my re-wire a while ago.
i can relax again as he will pop round tonight, he said possibly a fault with the switch i thnk :D

Wiki, GOOD idea guys, you all clearly have a lot of knowlege but with no easy way to find what has been written before because of different subject titles it could save yo a heap of time.

i have to ask, do you guys get paid for this or just nice chaps who like to help others out....robin hood style!

There is a FAQ and WIKI, if you look a the top of the page ;)
Robin Hood used to get food, wine and the occasional girl, we get nothing...

did any of the N have a brown or red sleeve on it? because one of the N is a live wire
No, one of the BLUES is live.

Your terminology helps perpetuate the assumption that blue is neutral, which is why this problem arises over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back