New light fixture fitted (with pics) not working

Have you changed any others this weekend?

No, although the kitchen / diner ceiling that was plastered has another wiring set but with no light fitted there yet, and has been untouched (bare wires covered with tape since old fitting was removed) so nothing has interfered with that... but the circuit is working as other lights downstairs are fine.

Sponsored Links
Have you changed any others this weekend?

No, although the kitchen / diner ceiling that was plastered has another wiring set but with no light fitted there yet, and has been untouched (bare wires covered with tape since old fitting was removed) so nothing has interfered with that... but the circuit is working as other lights downstairs are fine.

As soon as I posted this it twigged, the neutrals in the missing light on the circuit wasn't connected. Just done so using a 5amp block and all working now.

Thanks for the help guys.

It's a live block with three reds, one from each of the circuit cables and one from from the switch cable. I haven't touched it apart from unravelling the red tape to check all were connected.
Why don't you use the 4th terminal on the light fitting, provided for just that purpose?

bare wires covered with tape since old fitting was removed
Unacceptable - you should put them into a connector strip inside a choc-box.

As soon as I posted this it twigged, the neutrals in the missing light on the circuit wasn't connected. Just done so using a 5amp block and all working now.
After having ceiling plastered and painted I have fitted new light fitting
The problem lay not in the new light, which you talked about and photographed, but in something else you'd not seen fit to mention at all.... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You mean the hole on the right, with no terminal in it?

View media item 33713
I didn't enlarge it - assumed if they'd fitted a 4-way block it would have a terminal in each space. Even now not sure it doesn't.

But if not, just replace it with a 4-way strip.....

On this fitting the live block is in a separate block covered in red tape. My previous post referred to another set of cables with no light currently fitted (the neutral wires) are now connected to a block.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back