New light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, this 3 way switch controls the main bathroom light, a second light and the extractor fan. Been flashing occasionally when turned on, so seems it needs a new switch. Anything to watch for here or is it just a case of getting a new switch and copying the wire/terminal layout ? (And remembering what went where).

Attachments

• Compress_20231124_132904_4010.jpg
    Compress_20231124_132904_4010.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Compress_20231124_132904_4282.jpg
    Compress_20231124_132904_4282.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
Hi guys, this 3 way switch
3 gang - 3 way would be 3 switches at different positions operating one light.

controls the main bathroom light, a second light and the extractor fan. Been flashing occasionally when turned on, so seems it needs a new switch.
Could just be a loose wire.

Anything to watch for here or is it just a case of getting a new switch and copying the wire/terminal layout ? (And remembering what went where).
Yes mark the cables before removing and take a picture.

Remember the switches are just three separate switches next to each other with no connections between them.

It will be just a straight swap but one of the switches might be inverted and the terminal markings might be different.

Sponsored Links
Alot of switches now are labelled L1, L2 & L3 instead of having a com.

In that case L1 is the com, L2 is L1 on the old switch and L3 is L2 on the old switch.

Alot of switches now are labelled L1, L2 & L3 instead of having a com.

In that case L1 is the com, L2 is L1 on the old switch and L3 is L2 on the old switch.
I came across one recently, can't remember the exact order but laid out something like this
1700922101731.png

With no indication which was 'COM'. I was replacing a 3G all used as 2way with just 3x 3C&E :(

Been flashing occasionally when turned on, so seems it needs a new switch.

That could be the lamp itself, I have you tried another one? Or, the lampholder.

If it's the switch, usually tapping the switch, will provoke the flashing - likewise the lampholder.

Yes, you want to use the Com and L1 of each of the switches for one way, the terminals of each switch are separated by raised lines on the back of the switch.

P.S. the layout of that switch offends me - it just does!

Yes, you want to use the Com and L1 of each of the switches for one way, the terminals of each switch are separated by raised lines on the back of the switch.

P.S. the layout of that switch offends me - it just does!
Yes, I'm aware of com and L1 matchups but on that switch it's not clear which is the com for the first gang. That's why I asked if my markings were correct?

Yeah, it's odd.
I know what you mean but for us oldies who were accustomed to the old ceramic switches with screw-on covers where the entirety of the brass and copper contents were on view.

In essence there would be 2 fixed contacts and a moving contact. In one position the top contacts are linked and in the other the bottom contacts are linked.

Some had 2 distinct switches.
1701053335883.png

That's converted to a 2 way switch by either adding a wire link and some makers installed a bar to link 2 terminals together. Some of those had a dummy terminal (blank rivet).

I'm sure that makes plenty of sense.

Some had the link bar and an actual 4th terminal which was handy for the loop out.
1701053860291.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back