new light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just fitted a new light in the lounge but now every time i turn off the light it blows the fuse in the fuse box. Any help would be appreciated.
All the wiring to the light is correct with the instructions supplied with the light, and none of the other lights are affected.

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have connected it wrong then.

what exactly did you do

and have you changed the switch

i'm guessing he (and possiblly also the instructions) assumed that all reds were live and all blacks were neutral

this is not that case as would have been obvious if paying attention before removing the old light

ceiling_rose.gif

note: the black wire bringing the live back fron the switch should be marked with red sleeving but ususally isn't.

if your light doesn't have a spare connection for the unswitched live then you will have to use a peice of chock block

sadly you now have the awkward task of figuring out which cable is the switch cable. make sure the power to the fitting is off (swich off all power if unsure) then use a multimeter set to resistance and find the cable on which the resistance between the red and black wires changes between infinite and a fairly low level when you flick the switch

bet hes connected earth or a neutral from someware to L2

it blows when turned off.......

and if you connected it right it won't blow the fuse when turned off will it ay :rolleyes:

or, if its just the fitting thats replaced and not a whole new light run then maybe the switched live has been caught....but strange to blow when turned off...

Sponsored Links
supersparks said:
it blows when turned off.......
wiring accross the light is still my bet

ie he puts it up turns on the power and sees it on

then he flicks the switch trying to turn it off and causes a short cuircuit.

most lightswitches are NOT clearly marked with which position is on and which is off

Turned out that the switch terminal and the live terminal wasn't correct in the mounting so the light fitting kept shorting the circuit, after getting a new light fitting problem has sorted it self, thanks for the help anyway, cheers.

A short between switch terminal and live terminal would just mean the light was on all of the time - nothing would happen, let alone a fuse blowing, when you turned the switch to off.....

I smell something funny and it's very very runnny...... (I think you can all recall the rest)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back