New lighting, powered from FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a combi boiler installed, ripped the old hot water cylinder out of the airing cupboard, and removed the airing cupboard so as to enlarge the bathroom.

The FCU to which the emersion heater was once connected is now open to the bathroom (in Zone 3). I have built some framework in this area, 6 inches forward of the FCU (to hide some pipes), with a view to fitting some shelving and a downlighter above. I thought I could power the downlighter from the FCU, which I plan to fit into a new mounting box directly in front of the old one, in the new framework which will be boarded and tiled. Is this possible?

The cabling to the FCU is single cable, one live, one neutral, truncated through metal tubing that runs under the concrete floor, and is chased into the wall to a recessed mounting box. I have been informed that the metal conduit will provide the earth.

My main concern regards the earthing of the new mounting box. I am assuming that the best way would be to run an earth cable between the old and new mounting boxes (or a metal 'strap').

Is the correct way of going about this?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
all connections must be accessible and their location apparent (not boxed in).

you're working in a bathroom, so this work is legally notifiable to your local building control.

the metal conduit needs testing to ensure it can provide a good enough earth.

My advise is to get an electrician. The cost to notify BC is sometimes more than the cost of a sparky for small jobs.

Thanks Crafty1289.

The FCU will be accessible. The FCU will be fitted into (or onto) the tiled boarding. It won't be covered up.

Thanks for the BC tip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back