New lights - but no earth cable visible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing an old light fitting with a new spotlight, but when I removed the old fitting I found 2/3 red cables (live I assume) and 2/3 black (neutral), and no sign of an earth cable. The light switch however, has one red, one black, and an earth cable.

The new fitting must be earthed according to the installation instructions, so unless I come across an earth at the ceiling guess they will have to go back to Homebase, but not sure why there would be an earth at the switch and none at the ceiling ?

I read in other posts that no earth on the lighting circuit is common in older houses, my house must have been built early 1970s, so not sure if that is 'old' in electrical installation speak.

I also read I can use double insulated fittings, or plastic ones I guess, but would prefer the metal ones.

Would welcome confirmation of anything above fron an expert.

Sponsored Links
If you are sure that there is no earth at the light then the switch could have been moved sometime in the past and a newer twin + earth cable used.You must not connect a class 1 light to a circuit with no earth.
The main options you have are:-

-Take the new light back and get a class 2 one.
-Have the lights inspected/rewired by a pro spark

Thanks, def no earth at the ceiling, just three x red and three x black.

Have taken the fittings back to Homebase now.

Can't find many places on the internet selling double insulated spotlight fittings, found one at http://www.double-insulated-lighting.co.uk/, but three times price of Homebase and not much choice, and ideas anyone ?

Failing that will get a sparky round to take a look. Looks like may be a toss up between expensive fittings (if I can find any my wife likes) and electrician's bill + cheaper fittings.

Other thing that got metioned to me by a chap in a light shop, was using a transformer and low voltage lights, although was told these also need earthing as well now, and think the wiring of all that would be beyond me anyway.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back