New Loft Floor advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to beef up the loft floor for lots more storage only, nothing more.

1960's house the ceiling joists currently measure approx 70x40mm and span 3mtr from wallplate at back of house to middle supporting wall then another 3mt to front of house but these ones seem to be fixed to a large beam 9x3" (blinder ?) which spans across the bay window at the front of the house...............please see diagram for clarity.

I was going to run new bigger floor joists along side the existing ceiling ones which is fine at the back half of the loft but not sure about the front half as i would need to attach to the blinder with joist hangers if this is allowed ?

Please could anyone advise ?

thanks Leee
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I very much doubt the 9" x 3" is man enough to take the weight of a floor as it is already on its limits carrying the roof load.

I assume the central wall is a structural wall and not partitioning?

It may be possible to reinforce the beam by bolting steel angle or channel to it.

Thanks for your reply

The central wall is a brick wall that runs from the loft right down through the house to ground level so im assuming structural wall

can you describe how to reinforce the 9x3 in more detail or
can you think of any other way or am i basically snookered

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
can you describe how to reinforce the 9x3 in more detail or

It may be something a simple as a piece of angle iron bolted to the underside to deal with deflection or even a steel plate bolted to the face.

A structural engineer will advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back