New mains socket for wall mounted TV.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d like to install large TV on a wall bracket so that the mains double power-socket is hidden behind the TV. I already have a conveniently placed ring-main double socket just below the proposed TV position so I can take a spur from that,.. and run the new cable vertically up the wall approx 1.5metres to the new TV socket position.

However, not something I’ve done for a while and I’m unsure of the latest technique, methods and regs.

The wall is fairly new;...thermalite blocks with dot&dab plasterboard on top. I’d like to keep the chasing out (width/depth) to an absolute minimum as it makes back-filling so much easier of course.

Does the cable need to be secured beneath capping (which needs a wider ‘chase’)?... or can the cable be secured by a few cable clips and then plastered over.

Or,...if the chase is narrow and deep enough (and accurate enough!) could the cable be simply pushed into the narrow channel with no need for cable clips?

How deep below the surface does the cable need to be?

The ring-main is RCD protected by the way.

As ever, all replies gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Does the cable need to be secured beneath capping (which needs a wider ‘chase’)?
No.
... or can the cable be secured by a few cable clips and then plastered over.
Yes.
Or,...if the chase is narrow and deep enough (and accurate enough!) could the cable be simply pushed into the narrow channel with no need for cable clips?
Yes.
How deep below the surface does the cable need to be?
No restrictions, but it needs to be deep enough not to push the plaster/filler out! The only issue is that if it's less than 50mm deep (which it virtually always will be), it needs to be RCD protected - but, that's fine, since as you go on to say ...
The ring-main is RCD protected by the way.

The only other thing you need to be sure about is that the socket you're spuring from is 'on the ring', and not already itself a spur, since you cannot take a spur from a spur. (the presence of two cables at the socket is not a total guarantee that it is 'on the ring', since it could already be a spur with a {non-compliant!} spur being taken from it)

Kind Regards, John

You don't need to channel (apart from see below) or use capping.

Feed the cable down behind the plasterboard.
If you hit a dot (or is it dab?) then you will have to channel through it.

You don't need to channel (apart from see below) or use capping.

Feed the cable down behind the plasterboard.
If you hit a dot (or is it dab?) then you will have to channel through it.

Many thanks for that EFL;...I’ve just had a ‘tap’ up and down the wall and it seems that there is just a small 10cm section that has a dot (or is it dab?):) to impede the cable..

Sponsored Links
No.
Yes.
Yes.
No restrictions, but it needs to be deep enough not to push the plaster/filler out! The only issue is that if it's less than 50mm deep (which it virtually always will be), it needs to be RCD protected - but, that's fine, since as you go on to say ...

The only other thing you need to be sure about is that the socket you're spuring from is 'on the ring', and not already itself a spur, since you cannot take a spur from a spur. (the presence of two cables at the socket is not a total guarantee that it is 'on the ring', since it could already be a spur with a {non-compliant!} spur being taken from it)

Kind Regards, John
Many thanks John (y),...the existing socket is definitely on the ring main and is not a spur.

Many thanks John (y),...the existing socket is definitely on the ring main and is not a spur.
That's fine, then. Also, apologies for not having noticed your initial mention of 'dot and dab' - which, as EFLI has said, means than minimal actual 'chasing' will probably be needed. However, I think my responses to everything else you wrote were correct!

Kind Regards, John

See pic, ...is this acceptable?;

The spur cable will run vertically up the wall but the new double socket for the TV will be slightly off-set. :unsure:

is this acceptable?

Yes, fine, the vertical 'prescribed zone' shown(formerly 'safe zone') would actually cover the width of both double sockets, as the cable is connected to both accessories...

cs.jpg

edit: the higher socket can even be further right if you need it to be, with the cable having a 90° bend in it, because the higher socket will create a horizontal zone of it's own, which joins the vertical zone of the existing socket. I wouldn't do it that way personally, but it is allowed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back