Convert phone or TV socket to mains spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like an extra socket in my kitchen. Flanking an existing double socket above the counter are a phone socket and a TV aerial point, neither of which is used. Assuming both of those have standard metal back boxes, would it be possible to convert one to a spur socket? This would involve a horizontal cable run of 100 mm or so. If a vertical run is essential, the job's not worth doing.

Even if the new mains wiring would be acceptable, I'm guessing there is a minimum distance to which I'd have to withdraw the phone or TV cable. That might be a problem.

Sponsored Links
Assuming both of those have standard metal back boxes, would it be possible to convert one to a spur socket?
Yes, as long as the socket is not already a spur.

This would involve a horizontal cable run of 100 mm or so. If a vertical run is essential, the job's not worth doing.
Horizontal, in line with the sockets is fine.

I'm guessing there is a minimum distance to which I'd have to withdraw the phone or TV cable.
I presume it is connected to other such things in the house, so, at least, it will have to be insulated against any contact.

Thank you. That's better news than I'd expected.

I presume it is connected to other such things in the house, so, at least, it will have to be insulated against any contact.

Yes. Isn't there a "four-inch" rule for separating phone and mains wiring, or am I making that up? Sounds like good practice, at least.

And I suppose phone wiring should be properly terminated if I'm going to stuff it back into the wall. Gel crimps? Choc block? Tape?

Yes. Isn't there a "four-inch"
Maybe for interference considerations but not electrically.
Cables together must have insulation suitable for the highest voltage present.

And I suppose phone wiring should be properly terminated if I'm going to stuff it back into the wall. Gel crimps? Choc block? Tape?
Well, it should be properly, or adequately, terminated to ensure the core does not contact the screening.
Self-amalgamating tape is good and would suffice.

Is there no way you can find the other end and disconnect the cable?

Sponsored Links
Is there no way you can find the other end and disconnect the cable?

Turns out the phone socket is on a chain. My router and cordless phone plug into another extension socket, so disconnecting anything would probably be a bad idea. I could crimp the connections and put them behind the box, though. Or perhaps the TV aerial would be simpler, especially if I can unplug it in the attic.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice on the mains wiring. That's the key part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back