Spurring mains socket - few questions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

Plan to spur of an existing double socket to another double socket which will be located behind my wall mounted tv.

The planned route will run horizontal for about 20 cm and then straight up. I have checked and this socket is not already spurred.

So I just need to channel the route and put the 2.5 mm twin and earth cable in some sort of trunking ? Assume any trunking would be fine as long as it fits ?

Anything else I should be aware of ? Read up on this as much as I can.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
The planned route will run horizontal for about 20 cm and then straight up.
If this is directly horizontal of the socket you are taking the feed from and then directly vertical with the new socket, that is a permitted route.
I have checked and this socket is not already spurred
May I ask how you have checked this, as it is not always a simple process and testing of the circuit is often required to confirm this.
So I just need to channel the route and put the 2.5 mm twin and earth cable in some sort of trunking ? Assume any trunking would be fine as long as it fits ?
If you are chasing the cable in, there is no need for trunking, conduit or capping. But if you where to use it, 20mm oval conduit would be possibly the best method.

.Anything else I should be aware of ? Read up on this as much as I can.
A number of things I would recommend.
*The requirements for RCD protection of buried cable and for socket outlets

*The inspection and testing procedures and an understanding of the finds from this.

*The documentation of the information gained by the above, within either a minor works certificate or an electrical installation certificate.

*The regulations of depths of chases within solid walls.

Ah, thanks very much for your reply. So not really something I should do myself but to get an electrician in, at the very least the double check my work ?

Not spurred - guess not 100% but socket has two twin and earth cable going into it and therefore part of the ring circuit. There isn't a 3rd cable at the moment.

So in theory i can just plaster straight ontop of the cable ? Thought it was best to at least put capping over it ?

Not spurred - guess not 100% but socket has two twin and earth cable going into it and therefore part of the ring circuit. There isn't a 3rd cable at the moment.
That's far from conclusive. The second T+E cable could be a feed from a spurred socket to yet another spurred socket. Indeed, it could also be part of a radial circuit (no ring at all).
So in theory i can just plaster straight ontop of the cable ? Thought it was best to at least put capping over it ?
Only if you don't trust your plasterer not to damage the cable with their trowel.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Ah, thanks very much for your reply. So not really something I should do myself but to get an electrician in, at the very least the double check my work ?
It is not something you can completely rule yourself out of doing, but chasing, socket sinking, routing and terminating the cable is the menial part of the task. The inspection and testing is a very important part, to prove what has been done is safe to put into service and requires calibrated equipment and a knowledge and understanding of performing test and the expected results.
That would be a very naive assumption, it could be a spurred spur (fused or unfused), it could be a radial circuit. A visual inspection alone would not give you a conclusive answer, testing would also be required to prove absolutely.

So in theory i can just plaster straight on top of the cable ? Thought it was best to at least put capping over it ?
There is no requirement to cap or contain the cable, simply chase out at a depth where the cable can be clipped or fixed to the wall securely, at a depth that will allow good cover by plaster and will not cause damage to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back