New Mains Water - but not yet!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Ok so planning on doing some work to the front garden, drive etc and I know that we have a very old feed to the property and its 15mm copper coming out of the main floor (concrete slab) and there is no isolation on the pavement etc.

So thinking and planning ahead - and seeking some ideas from all you guys (n girls!), what to do. The idea we've come up with is that we can not really install a new MDPE pipe (I'm learning!) right now as it would get in the way and might not get used for a while.
So was wondering if I can use some 40mm solvent weld waste pipe, dug down to around 700mm and buried as normal then when it comes to installing the new mains, I've got a nice easy way of installing a new feed.

Part of the issue is that it would need to travel over a half decent drive and we don't wish to destroy it just now. But there is a damaged drain which needs to be dug out and replaced at sometime. And also looking into building an extension. So if and we were to build, we'd fix the drain (its only used for the drive rain water) and install a new mains water feed.

In an ideal world yeah sure.. but ideal never seems to happen!!

Any other ideas, and helpful comments welcomed!

Cheers all!

Sponsored Links
Should be a min depth of 750 mm!

If you are digging down then why not fit the MDPE pipe now?

I dont see any point in fitting 40 mm pipe??? What benefit do you imagine that will have?

Tony

Why cant you get a firm in to "Mole" the mains pipework, this would save digging up the driveway.

Sponsored Links
If I'm already digging it all up then I might as well try and save a little time and money later on so using something as a duct was an idea!

forgotten about using a mole but again if its all up already - when its not really needed.

and the idea of leaving MDPE sticking out of the front garden may never to be used would look unsightly and is an expensive waste

It's just an idea to replace the mains feed. we've had most things changed/upgraded throughout our home! you can pritty much name it and we've done it, wood treatments, rewire, new heating, solar ect ect! so the last thing would be the stack pipes and mains - already had most of the stack changed and drains checked!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back