new mixer shower, plus pump=weak/no cold water! Help please!

Sponsored Links
you need to get at least 1 ltr/min per side flow gravity before pump will start any less will not activate flow switchs.

ok, good news is that when i put the shower head into the tray i get a good constant cold flow. So that supports your suggestion. How can i remedy this long term?

does it pump start up and run ok ?
you should be able to raise shower head once pump started and turn hot on and get a stable useable shower not to hot or cold.

how must distance have you from the base of your tank in loft to the showerhead when fixed in its holder ?

Sponsored Links
pump starts and runs ok, still a little sensitive to changing the temperature and raising up the showerhead.

I would suggest there isnt much more than one metre between shower head at normal upper usage position and bottom of cold water tank in loft.

50 cm to ceiling (false ceiling) then 35 cm to actual ceiling in bathroom. Tank sitting about 10cm above joists in loft.

the original bathroom pic shows the false ceiling

thats quite abit.
useally under 2 ft 600mm can put you into a negative situation rather than a pos.

i can see two options
one raise the loft tank
two opt for a esp pump that works on both pos/neg.

ok, thats helpful.

Of the two option you mention which will likely be most cost efficient / produce the better results? I appreciate if that may not be easy to predict.

If i were to go with the esp pump, is there a particular model you would recommend? The Salamander range seem fairly reasonable.

been spending a bit of time with the pump manual (i didnt install it so to be honest was not too familiar with the instructions) and have read that "all up and over pipework must be vented at the highest point on the outlet of the pump..."

Page 1, point 13 http://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/Download/instructions.pdf

As is the case with the way my pipework is set-up (forgive me if my interpretation is plain novice and inaccurate) the cold is 'up and over' as the outlet from the pump sends the water back into the loft and across before down into the shower. Whereas the hot pipes go down under the floor from the pump and up to the shower.

If this is the case and my interpretation is sound would installing an air vent to the cold at the highest point on the outlet improve things and (hopefully) be a more cost efficient solution? Or does this simply have little to do with the performance in this respect? :?: :confused: Having googled an air vent i have to say i dont think there is one in place at present.

Can you tell i'm hoping for a quicker, easier and cheaper solution?!

Tell me to shut up if i'm getting myself confused! :LOL:

apologies for the (2nd) shameless bump

All advice gratefully received :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back