New Mower Time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a new mower, we just have a crappy Flymo we inherited fro the previous owners, the lawns not massive, though a bit rough rough with some paving slabs through part of it, maybe 150m2. I've struggled with crappy Flymos and the like years ago and always vowed I'd never detest the task in the future due to a crap machine again, my gut is kinda steering me towards a secondhand Honda for about £300 - something like this: https://www.justhonda.co.uk/honda-hrx-426-sx-lawn-mower.html

275568174_4892559064155552_6867339098291027191_n.jpg

Overkill? I'm guess something like this should be good for spares forever and will probably see me out if I look after it.

Sponsored Links
Freddie, hold your horses. It's mothers day in 10 days, buy a new mower and let the kids give it to her for a present. She can even use next Sunday. Everybody's happy! ;)

Andy

Sponsored Links
Well all this joviality is all very well but it isn't getting me any further and my lawn is growing taller by the minute. Idly googling it seems a mower with the mulching option is the way forward to help reduce my hatred of lawn cutting further.

Well all this joviality is all very well but it isn't getting me any further and my lawn is growing taller by the minute. Idly googling it seems a mower with the mulching option is the way forward to help reduce my hatred of lawn cutting further.
Mulching mowers mean that weed seeds get recycled into the lawn and, if you have kids that play on the lawn, they'll bring loads of lawn cuttings into the house on their shoes.

Mulching mowers mean that weed seeds get recycled into the lawn and, if you have kids that play on the lawn, they'll bring loads of lawn cuttings into the house on their shoes.

Dogs as well! I only ever mulch, a couple of days after its cut, the loose cuttings will have settled and no more problem. Not mulching would involve a lot of emptying runs and great pile of grass to be dealt with. Mulching feeds the nutrients back into where it came from. The worst problem from mulching is the first few cuts of the season, due quite soon here, once the soil/mud is dried out enough to be driven on.

The Honda Izy is fine for that size lawn, very reliable just change the oil and filter at the required intervals, and keep the deck clean.

Blup

Amother vote for the Izy.....cheaper and lighter than the HRX. Available in 16,18 and 21” cuts, self propelled or push.
Loads of s/h parts available as well as a good pattern parts network.
Just keep the deck underside painted!
John :)

Just gone with a Battery mower as im sick of getting the extension lead out and lawn size doesn't warrant a petrol.

Gone for a Worx one.

Just gone with a Battery mower as im sick of getting the extension lead out and lawn size doesn't warrant a petrol.

Gone for a Worx one.
I swapped to battery a few years back -I would never go back.

battery lawnmowers are brilliant - it’s so easy, it’s no drama to do the lawn twice a week in the fastest growing period.

Hopefully worth the flaff of charging.
I swapped to battery a few years back -I would never go back.

battery lawnmowers are brilliant - it’s so easy, it’s no drama to do the lawn twice a week in the fastest growing period.

Only reservation is they don't do low 10mm cuts, not sure why that is on a lot of them?

I have got maki tools but wasn't sure the mower would be any cop without a roller.

i have a Honda IZY from 2006 - been very reliable, Every couple of years I just change the Filter , Plug, Oil. Sharpen the blade (i have a spare one ) and give it all a good clean each year over winter.
It now has to have the Super Petrol rather than the changed normal petrol, because of the water content.

I have been thinking of a battery version when this bits the dust , and looking at the EGO range.

Amother vote for the Izy.....cheaper and lighter than the HRX. Available in 16,18 and 21” cuts, self propelled or push.
Loads of s/h parts available as well as a good pattern parts network.
Just keep the deck underside painted!
John :)
Waxoyl the underside every year or so.

I've a 21inch and its the best mower I've ever had. Pressure wash the underside and collecting bin once a year. Have 3/4's of an acre (in 7 patches of which only one could justify a ride-on) to mow. Takes about 4 hours once a fortnight (peace and noisy quiet away from wife and family).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back