New Non-Regulation Staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read that if you are replacing a staircase that is not up to todays spec, you are allowed to replace with something the same or better (ie, still under todays regs).

Does anybody know if this is true, and also does it still count if you are moving the stairs to a new location in the house?

My current stairs go up the middle of the house, currently 74cm wide, and about 47degrees. These are going so I can make the downstairs open plan, with the stairs on the side of the house. The floorboard to floorboard height is 262.5cm (floor to ceiling is 240.0cm), but I only have 320.0cm of wall space to play with. Using a quarter turn landing I can keep to the 42degree /200cm headroom rules, but only if the stairs are 71cm across. Too narrow for sure, and ideally I want around 84cm across.

Any work arounds that building control are likely to approve?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back