new oak doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just brought some new oak doors - they are unfinished and the info that they come with says to finish by staining or painting but they are unsuitable for oiling or waxing. I am confused as to why this is so and was was wondering if I need to do anything to the doors so that I could wax or oil them as I would prefer to do this.
Many thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
It might be worth posting this in the carpentry forum as those guys will be more clued up. I'm wondering if its green oak as i think that needs time to settle. Also oak has natural protective properties so any coatings (at least internally) are purely decorative.

Oils tend to sink deep into the wood where as stains barely penetrate the surface because they are designed to bond to the timber not penetrate it.

I would have thought the main thing would be to ask the manufacturers themselves why they advise against oil/wax.

The possibilities that occur to me are that they've already applied a preservative that would react adversely with oil/wax or that they've constructed the door using a glue that would be damaged by either of them.

Green oak I believe is just uncured and as it dries is prone to crack an split, and beeswax is often applied to help prevent this. My guess would be that a preservative would have been applied of which would attack the oil/wax whilst it was being absorbed by the timber.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Oak doesn't really need a preservative. Church doors can last a thousand years. My guess is that using oil etc will result in blackish blue mould problem who's name I've forgotten.

Yeah! Well done, that's what I was thinking about.

As others have said, oak is one of the most durable and naturally defensive materials you will find, essentially it is maintanance-free.

The reason the instructions say the doors are not suitable for waxing or oiling is because neither are regarded by the manufacturers as appropriate methods of sealing the door.
It is basically a get out clause against claims for problems caused by moisture/humidity if they are treated this way and is especially relevant for veneered doors as the veneer can be loosened by these factors.
You should be able to use a wax or oil but it will effectively invalidate the doors' guarantee.

Many thanks for the advice - will be getting back to the manufacturer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back