New oil boiler - inside or out, sealed or vented

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would appreciate advice on the following (my first post):

I'm having a new oil-fired condensing boiler fitted in our 4-bed chalet bungalow (replacing old one - separate query and more details of why in next post).
I'm not having a combi (new vented hot water cylinder just fitted).

First query: Had expected to have boiler fitted against external wall with balanced flue through wall. The boilerman has advised that I could have an external (outside) boiler if wanted, and that it would be slightly more expensive.

Would appreciate any views on pros and cons of inside v. outside, apart from the obvious, e.g. space inside, accessibility, having to go outside to boot it in foul weather, etc..

Second question: Had expected to have conventional vented boiler with feed & expansion tank (which I have in fact already bought (Polytank Red, fully assembled, insulated, etc. £60). The boilerman suggested having a sealed system / unvented boiler with inbuilt expansion vessel.

What are the pros and cons of a sealed pressuried system v. a traditional vented system please? And any cost differences?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. (If more details needed, please let me know - don't want to fill message with unnecessary details.)

Sponsored Links
4 bed bungalow?

Think your installer is right to recomend sealed system as you dont have a lot of head hight but you need to push the heating water some distance and you should use a 15/60 pump ;)

Inside or out? i hate getting wet servicing or repairing so for me(engineer) inside :LOL:

But if you need space then outside is fine,it is dearer but(grant) comes with flue attached inside you will have to buy flue aswell as boiler so check out prices :idea:

Thanks.

4-bed CHALET bungalow - originally 2-bed bungalow, but two more beds + bathroom added in original loft space.

F and E tank (if vented system) would be in remaining loft space above first floor, i.e. almost in the apex of the roof. Does this affect your comments on head height?

What's a 15/60 pump please?

Please clarify whether you mean:
"comes with flue attached inside", i.e. inside boiler comes complete with flue; OR
"outside ... comes with flue attached" and "inside ... will have to buy flue as well".

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back