New on on me

Sponsored Links
There may be something in it jj. Years ago I used to work in an army barracks where there were lots of old fellas working. Whenever one of them retired there was a kind of lunchtime ceremony to see them off with some kind of presentation etc.
One old guy snuffed it the week after he went, some sly bstrd (not me) got a pen and drew a wavy line down the page of his thank you letter ( pinned on the notice board)from the last full stop. :LOL:

I too have known people retire and snuff it within a year. But I also know people who've retired and lived for years. I know one mate who retired over 20 yrs ago and is still going strong. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
got a letter yesterday to say they have moved the retirement age for men forward a bit more so anyone born after 6/dec 1953 will work till 66 my birthday is 7 weeks after this day requiring me to work a further 113 days so 2654 days till i retire although i am not counting :D :D ;)

I know a lot of old single folk living in houses with 3 or more bedrooms and I think they would not want to move to down size because even if they only have a friendly neighbour or two they would miss them. Also, they would miss the association they had with their loved ones in the house they're in. A major factor. The main reason they would move is to be near their offspring certainly not just because they want to ownsize. One of the main contributors to an old folk staying put is the stair lift. In the past a flat or bungalow was needed but not now with a stair lift.
I helped a friend downsize by renovating her home and then her bungalow and for somebody who is 'delicate' it would have been a traumatic experience. But she did it because she had a lot of help. For an old dear not having a good friend/relative near by to help out she would find it difficult. My neighbour had it easy because she moved to a granny flat and sold her home. So, for some, its easy but for most it would be to hard---and surprisingly they know it. Many of them are wise enough to know that staying put is okay for them.
I am heading that way myself with good health etc., but anything can happen to spoil things.
I think that when people talk about what old folk want they should do it from the old folks position of wealth and health because its a lot different when either are not there.

no wonder the kids can't jobs !!

isn't it work to live? not the opposite !

no wonder the kids can't jobs !!

isn't it work to live? not the opposite !

the problem is any one up to 18 years old gets nil help from the system in there own right as they are there parents responsibility except in certain circumstances [own family in care or home less etc]
when the get to 19 they get £50 ish and restricted help with housing so most stay at home

in simplistic terms a working pensioner will cost far less on average than an unemployed 18-21 year old because they in general earn more money get less help from the system even though the the young adult would be far better employed from a social a self a esteem and a payback to society point of view

Good job I've took early early retirement ;) people tells me I looked really well, maybe it's no more stress, alarm clock or shiftwork? However I think it's important to keep busy, having plenty of time and hobbies can cost money whereas going to work part-time plus money without having to worry about the job situation can be healthy as well. I must admit retiring early can be lonely as I miss the lads at work as they still working but even now they are worried about their job situation!

June 2011

image.png
;)

Sponsored Links
Back