New outbuilding. Cavity wall or single skin with V barriers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.... first off thank you for taking the time to read this :D

I want an outbuilding in the bottom of the garden. I have spoken to the planning department who just refer me to the limitations based on their funky little guide and have spoken to a helpful chap at my local building control who said as nuts as it is because the building is going to be under 30sqm and brick built they have no powers to inspect or manage over anything... including the toilet install with the soil going into to the sewage!!

So I want a brick built outbuilding half for my new tattoo studio and a section for a shed come workshop. Think of an L shape with the longer side the studio the part coming out the workshop.

My main question is what is the best way to construct the walls? Standard cavity wall or go for a single skin with vapour barrier and timber the walls insulate and then board? I understand the difficulties with the latter option but done right (and not looking to skimp here) would it offer better insulation properties to the building.

Providing the walls are brick I have free rein over the way to go about it. I want to try to educate myself as much as possible so when i get builders in for a quote I have a better understanding of what's needed so i can work out if they are a cowboy from the off.

Is there anyone here local to Witham, Essex that wish to take up such a job? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
From a finished point of view I think there will be little noticeable difference between either, in regards to thermal performance and appearance etc.

However, from a practical point of view, both in terms of preferred construction methods and user friendliness, I would always opt for a masonry inner skin - both as a builder and as an occupant.

What I mean by that is, from a construction (and design) perspective it is simpler to build a cavity wall with full fill insulation.

As a user, it is simpler to fix things to a masonry wall.

Thank you for your reply...

can i ask what you mean by fill insulation is this the same or similar to when companies advertise cavity wall insulation.... drill holes and fill with what i can only amateur explain as expanding foam :LOL:

My biggest concern is damp. I've had a string of bag luck in various buildings i've tried to use or looked at renting before and as this is a fresh build is something I want to prevent at the utmost etc.

I was wondering if filling the cavity would impact on the inner side... being a smaller building then a house and up to 3 or 4 people in it at times.
I know ventilation is the key but what ever else i can do to help or no do to help prevent such things.

Also the rear and right side walls of the building will for the exterior of the garden replacing the existing old wall that is there so being brick is fine... i was wondering how easy the inside walls those seen in the garden would be to cover or clad to give a softer garden shed summer house look perhaps.

There was the suggestion of the 2 exterior walls being cavity then then make timber wall construction off the 2 walls to then vapour barrier and clad, insulation/celotex in the stuff work and foil backed board.... but i feel this is a waste of the brick cavity walls and overall structure... please say im correct LOL

thanks again :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back