New parquet for new kitchen - under cabinets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m about to lay a new solid oak parquet floor for a new kitchen. The floor is concrete but will have a leveling screed on top.

the parquet has a depth of 22mm and I know I’ll need to lay this before cabinets are installed - partly because there’s an island which will need to sit on top and the flooring is too deep to lay up to the cabinet plinths as it’ll look too high.

my question is - I don’t want to run the parquet all the way under the cabinets to the wall as it’ll be a fair few square feet and will never be seen so an expensive way to do it. So what can I put underneath instead?

I was thinking 22mm t&g chipboard or maybe moisture resistant mdf?

any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it is proper parquet then the whole floor needs to be sanded after it's laid.

Do the cabinets not have feet, then a plinth strip? That's the more common thing nowadays. Back in the day cabinets were simple boxes plonked on the floor.
However if you left a hole in the middle for the centre unit you're scuppered if plans change.

The cabinets do have feet and the plinth attaches on the front of them with clips. The plinth is 80mm so I suppose I could have the feet 22mm higher than the plinth and then floor up to it.
It’s proper solid oak t & g parquet, unfinished and tumbled.

You need to do the whole floor unless you want to have parquet blocks detaching and floating free. Having materials whi h cannot be sanded after installation and which have a different rate of movement to the oarquet timber will only cause problems in the long run

Sponsored Links
If you must then good quality oak ply, mdf and chipboard are easily destroyed by moisture, then so is oak parquet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back