1970s parquet floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening all,

under my hall carpet I've found what I think is called 'finger parquet'. It's 1970s dark wood laid in a small square pattern. The carpet has to go but the parquet is just too dark for my taste. I think I've got three options;

lay a new wood floor over the parquet
rip up the parquet and lay a new wood floor
have a go at bleaching the parquet and see what happens

any thoughts anyone? One thing I've found is Vitableach - has anyone used it and how effective is it? Thanks in advance
Nick

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same on most of the ground floor of our 1968 property we bought 4 ½ years ago. As you say, rather too dark for today’s & my personal taste.

Tried bleaching but, as WoodYouLike says, didn't work & looked bloody awful. In an extension where an old oil tank had stood & back door removed the floor was damaged & incomplete so I pulled it all up. Not difficult but the bitumen adhesive it had been laid with is messy; there was around 20 sq/m which I still have stored in boxes. I laid some engineered mid oak in the new room but laid tiles in the new utility & kept the parquet floor in my office; gives a bit of contrast. In the outer hall, large cloakroom & large inner hall, I left it where it was & overlaid with engineered oak again. The levels fine with the kitchen floor as this was re-tiled but there is quiet a step up from the lounge which was originally carpet. This room has yet to be finished so am unsure what’s going in there; she wants carpet but I want oak again & as it doesn’t follow through at the same level I’m thinking slightly darker; but not as dark as the Mahogany parquet!

thanks for the replies folks. WoodYouLike, I think we've corresponded before on a different forum. I hear what you say about a valuable asset, but it's just too dark so unfortunately I can't keep it as it will make my hall too gloomy. Remember it isn't the high quality parquet of the sort shown in your link. The only way I would keep it is if I could lighten it - is it likely to be tropical wood do you think? From what you and Richard say I have little chance of bleaching it anyway.

I don't the levels will work if I lay a floor over it so I'm leaning towards pulling it up and putting down a nice oak or something. If I get back to the bitumen base what method of laying a new floor would you recommend from that starting point? many thanks

Sponsored Links
You will never get the bitumen adhesive off the floor (if that’s what you have). After knocking off any high spots, I just laid a polythene membrane over it & then a 3mm foam underlay before laying the new oak floor but it depends what floor you use so always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back