refurbish old parquet floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just tore up the carpeting in our living rom to find a 1.5" layer of concrete and a metal mesh [probably to hold the concrete in place] under which is parquet! The room was added on in the late 60's so not sure how old the parquets are but the mositure from the poured concrete has seemingly sucked the life out of the wood...some parts look lovely but most of it has this dried out appearance.
How do I find out if its salvageable? To that point, am i better off -$$- to just rip out the parquet and lay new wood flooring?

Sponsored Links
Apply some maintenance product on it and see if that brings back its lustre.

If you wet the entire area with a damp cloth you will see what real condition the floor is in and whether it is worth sealing with a protective coating.

what kind of maintenance product do you recommend? water alone i'm concerned about as it'll absorb into the wood and then just dry it out.

Sponsored Links
What woodfinishes suggest is not a treatment but to determine very simply how and if the floor is still protected with any sort of finish.

thanks anyway but all for naught at it turns out...between the concrete and the nails gunned into the floor by some fool the floor needs to be trashed. coupled with the poor plumb job someone did behind a false wall we just uncovered and other problems in the room, that shoddy old carpet we tore up is looking pretty good now....oh well, another diy project gone crazy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back