Can parquet floor be painted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this post should be in the painting and decorating section. I couldn't work out which it should be in really.

My question is can sanded down parquet be painted?
I have parquet in my apartment approx 35 years old. I like painted wood on floors but wonder if one can actually paint a parquet floor with say white floor paint? Has anyone tried it? If so, has it succeeded or was it a disaster?

Sponsored Links
probably is the answer.

but i would suggest that as its paint it will wear off over time, that will be when you will regret doing it

How to ruin a solid wood floor in one easy step..........

1) Paint It..............! :rolleyes:

Have you any idea how much that would cost you to lay these days, including labour........ :LOL: a lorra lorra wonga....:cool:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Sponsored Links
please dont paint it kitty. parquet looks fantastic when sanded and varnished. Its also a selling point too.

You're not going to put up stone cladding outside as well are you?

Okay. I am off now. No one here has actually been able to answer my specific question which is fair enough. Not every question can be answered. However, I do resent being patronised.

I may be a woman but I am also a competent DIY-er and only asked as the floor is beyond repair and renovation. I have tried sanding and varnishing it but the wood is dried up, cracked and will not take the varnish. Twice it has been done using proper procedure and materials and it just is beyond help. I will put down a new wood floor instead.

At least you managed to spell it right.I'm an old parquet layer (40 years man&boy) The answer is YES you can paint parquet I've been asked to do so a few times.You must remove all traces of varnish, paint,grease,dirt by either sanding (my preference)or with solvent.Then choose whether oil or water based products to finish.I prefer water based because it is easier to clean the tools afterwards and is less toxic.
Sand off all previous treatments and finish with the finest grit paper you have.Apply 2 coats clear varnish (rubbing down lightly between coats) then apply 2 coats paint.Bob's yer Auntie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back