New patio - level dictated by drain pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm looking to lay a new patio in the area you can see in the photo below which I've started digging out level. It looks to me like the level of the patio is going to be dictated by the drain pipe I've circled on the picture but this pipework is only 75mm below the DPC.

So....with a hardcore / bedding / slab to go above that pipe level it's going to take it above the DPC.

Can anyone give me any advice on where to go with this?

Incidentally the builders who put this waste pipe in did so at the same time as building the extension it comes from - is it normal to put this in so shallow?

Thanks for your time.

upload_2017-10-29_21-8-51.png

Sponsored Links
You will just have to have your bedding over the pipe rather than any hardcore.

Ah ok - so still dig down either side of the pipe and lay 75mm of hardcore, then just have bedding over the whole area including over the pipe? Thanks Ian

Don't get too close to it, you don't want to damage it. People chop block paving in half so it can sit over shallow pipes.

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks Ian. Last question if you don't mind? With that as it is, the patio will still be quite shallow - I was planning on leaving a 250mm gravel border around the edge and then laying with a fall away from the building. Do you think that will suffice without any drainage?

I wouldn't use gravel against the house myself but many do.

I'd just have the fall away from the building without gravel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back