Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My patio has seen better days and it looks like a good time to replace it. When it comes to replacing patio, is it ok to leave the existing hardcore and put down a new full bed of mortar for laying the new slabs? Or is it necessary for this all to be replaced as well?

If it helps, the patio is 3.3m x 3.8m. Another consideration is that the current patio is actually only 75mm below the bottom of the door sill, I understand that it should really be 150mm below the DPC (though I've not had damp issues arising so far as I can tell)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the last patio wasn't sinking and the base is sufficiently level then there's no reason to dig it up any more than necessary. Any idea where your dpc is? If its below your current patio level then you may yet end up with a problem (even though you haven't had one to date)

Sponsored Links
As above, if you redecorated a wall you wouldn't take the plaster off if it's all ok, just re-paper it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back