New PC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 2012 set-up has reached the end of the road.

I am thinking of this one. Yet again I am buying ready-built, as I cannot get the components cheaper.
http://www.ebuyer.com/787869-zoostorm-delta-elite-desktop-pc-7290-3085

Going to use a WD external HDD.
Not sure which monitor to buy. I want one bigger than my current one which is 22 inches.
The motherboard (Asus 110 M-R) will run up to 2560 x 1600.
Thinking about 27" qhd (2560 x 1440) AOC Q2778 VQE.
Or will a 27" HD suffice (1920 x 1080)?
Cheers, guys.

Sponsored Links
Looking at a replacement Mac myself, my 2006 model is no longer supported though I can still run windows ok .Not looking at new though as too expensive, a 2012 model should be good for another 10 years.

You might be better off getting the monitor and the PC from the same supplier. Both monitors and video cards have changes since your last PC, and if not matched properly, can cause problems.

My current copy of computer shopper gives the ASUS VC239H as a good budget monitor at £126, or the AOC Q2781PQ at £329, but it's not a good gaming monitor.

The only cheap PC they've recommended, was the Palicome i5 itanium at £500

Thanks, dog.

The monitor would come from ebuyer too.

I've looked at the AOC monitor you mention, it has 8mm bezels so looks neater and more stylish.
The one I mentioned has wider bezels, but costs less.
I'm just not sure if, of the two I have mentioned, the qHD one is worth the extra or whether it will be wasted on me as I don't game. I do watch films, though.
There is a bigger 32" AOC qHD monitor which I really fancy, but it's a huge jump price wise, to £363.

Sponsored Links
A 32" monitor will give a nice display for films if it's a qhd, but remember that we used to have HD displays on 40" monitors, so an HD display on a 32 or even less should be more than okay., The only caveat, is that we used to sit further away from the screen. I use a 24" screen, and would like a 28", but I suspect I would find my head swivelling a bit sitting too close to a 32" screen.

And sitting here working on a pentium laptop, I notice how slow it is in comparison to the i7 7300 that I also have access to, so you need to work out whether it's a faster but more expensive PC, or a bigger and glitzier display that's your priority.

It can't be any slower than my old pc!
My priority is a bigger display for ease of viewing.

it's amazing what a SSD and more memory can do for an old computer. That and switching from windows to linux.

Not always. More memory can often help if there's a lot of disk thrashing when virtual pages get loaded in and out, but a lot of older PCs have a bottleneck on the disk controller, and the SSD won't transfer data much faster than the old one did. You sometimes need to install a new SATA controller as well, but you could still get a bottleneck on the bus controller.

Wander round Currys etc, and see what you can view, and that might help you decide on the monitor quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers mb and doggit.

I have looked at qhd and 4K monitors, but I think 4K will be overkill as the motherboard only spits out 2560 x 1600 @ 60Hz via HDMI.

I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to graphics, but I guess that even if the 4K monitor can be attached to a lesser motherboard, it will not make the picture quality any better than what the motherboard can handle.

Sorry, haven't come across them yet, but a quick check shows them to be 4K, so are you thinking of upgrading the graphics card.

That's an option. At the moment I am just thinking about using the integrated graphics.

Integrated graphics won't handle 4K, but if you want a good screen, then you'll need a graphics card to match the monitor, or the other way round. Are you intending to watch 4K films by any chance.

Sponsored Links