New petrol hedge trimmer will not start..

R

ryoc

Hi, I have a new petrol hedge trimmer 18419E. Originally from Northern Tools but bought on eBay via a reseller. Worked fine the first couple of times. Now when I prime the carb, put the choke on and pull, it fires up straight away for about 2 seconds and cuts out. Will not fire again.. Reseller not interested. Any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks :(

Sponsored Links
for a start its not new i think you have been had but john Burnerman will be along soon he will know what is wrong with it

Sponsored Links
If it's new you are covered by Statutory Rights. Tell them you'll be contacting Trading Standards, and contact Ebay too.

so did you buy it from Northern Tools

Thanks for the replies. No, I bought the item from a reseller. Maybe it was a customer return. Contacted Northern Tools who refered me back to the reseller. No response from him..

I am sure that it just a minor fault that I hope to fix myself. I did run fine on the first couple of occasions.

so its not new, as i said you have been had, plus you have made it look like its Northern Tools fault.

so its not new, as i said you have been had, plus you have made it look like its Northern Tools fault.

Oh dear! I bought the item from an eBay reseller under the impression that it was new (perhaps it was an unused customer return, I don't know). It showed no evidence of prior use. Northern Tools were very helpful with regard to my enquiry, correctly refered me back to the person I bought the item from, who did not respond. My responses were to questions asked of me. Profound apologies if I have caused offence? All I am asking is, can anyone help me start the thing?

have you checked there is a spark and the plug gap is correct

Thanks - yes, all ok. It fires immediately first pull. It seems to choke itself to a stop as soon as it starts? It was running fine for the first few times, starting and running easily.

As these machines have to run at crazy angles, they do not have a typical carburettor with a float bowl - therefore they have to pump their fuel from the tank continuously.
When you press the primer bulb, you are manually pumping fuel from the tank - on starting the engine is supposed to take over.
So, if you want to have a go, you'll really need an air line (but an aerosol can of carb cleaner may suffice) and the carb will have to be unbolted.
On each end of the carb there is a squarish plate - unscrew these and underneath you'll see a rubberised diaphragm.....one will have a round metal disc in the middle, and this is called the metering diaphragm.
The other one will have some U shaped rubber flaps - this is the pump diaphragm and the fault will be in the drilled passages leading to this.
These diaphragms are fragile, and mustn't be torn.
Basically, every part needs to come out of the carb for a clean - a bit daunting but not so bad if you carefully keep the bits in order.
Anyway....here's a few tips to try.
Does the engine keep running so long as you press the primer?
Does using half choke help? Try starting (if possible) with full throttle and choke off.
If there are two screws in the side (maybe marked L and H) turn them in, and then out one turn.
If you think the thing may be drowned in fuel, take the plug out, tip the machine over (plug hole downwards) and pull the starter cord to clear any raw fuel away.
Sadly, getting parts for this Chinese stuff is nearly impossible unless the importer will help....and most horticultural repairers won't want to know.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back