New PIR in Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've just bought a PIR to replace the pull switch in my downstairs toilet.

I've taken it out of the packaging and the wiring block has Live (L) , Live out (L out) and Neutral (N). With my current wiring I only have Live and Live out. Do I need to replace the wiring to the switch or can I just connect using the live in / out.

Thanks for any help

Jacka

Sponsored Links
I've just bought a PIR to replace the pull switch in my downstairs toilet. I've taken it out of the packaging and the wiring block has Live (L) , Live out (L out) and Neutral (N). With my current wiring I only have Live and Live out. Do I need to replace the wiring to the switch or can I just connect using the live in / out.
You need a neutral connection, and it's unlikely that one is currently available at the pull switch - so, as you say, some changes to the wiring may well be required.

In passing, are you sure it's a good idea? People have been known to be quite still for significant periods of time in toilets, in which case they could get plunged into darkness if the light is controlled by a PIR!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Danlers and others do PIRs that do not require a neutral.
As a matter of interest, do they necessarily all work with anything other than incandescent lamps? (they need to be able to get a little current through the load when it is 'off' in order to power the electronics)

Kind Regards, John

I've bought it now an I have some 3 core somewhere in the house so it should be fine

Of course. brown live in, black live out and grey is neutral?

The usual colours used are:
Brown = line in
Black (with a brown sleeve) = switched line out
Grey (with a blue sleeve) = neutral
CPC (with a green&yellow sleeve) = earth

I doubt you'll ever come back and admit it, but I promise you that having a PIR will drive you mad, and that in a few months you'll remove it, go back to having a switch, and curse the day you ever put it in.

Youre probably right, it's in now though and seems to been fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back