new pitched and flat roof.....rat invasion

Reaction score
Country
United States
F5FEF9AA-6C8F-482F-9DCD-949F155DCD74.jpeg
E62B039B-CA0D-4D07-8FCC-EF44FF860778.png
F5FEF9AA-6C8F-482F-9DCD-949F155DCD74.jpeg
E62B039B-CA0D-4D07-8FCC-EF44FF860778.png
i had a new roof installed 6 months ago. i have 2 areas where rats have gained access.
the roofer said the roof is good quality and insists it was installed properly.

i just didn’t t expect a new roof would be so easily chewed through so the rats can access .
i have bait stations along the perimeter of the yard.....really upset as i though a new expensive roof would keep rodents out for a least a few years

Sponsored Links
The problem is if they want to find a way in they will unfortunately.

I had squirrels coming in through my chimney, I then blocked that up and they clawed through the lead at the side of a dormer....

Speak to a local pest control expert and see if there is some kind of coating or noise device that would keep them away from the area.

Rats don’t normally moult like that. Those could be next doors woman’s pubes that have been caught up in the wind and landed on your roof. Is she a big lady, quite dark?

Sponsored Links
My one piece of advice is don’t bait...... use traps. I had a rat under the floor in my old house. My mate, who is coincidently a pest controller gave me some free bait. The rat ate it and then died under my floor. The stench was incredible. We even questioned whether we could stay in the house. I had to lift floorboards and get into the 18” crawl space like a pot holer and search for the bastard. Hideous claustrophobic job. Eventually found it. Really pleased I asked for my expert mate’s advice:rolleyes:

My one piece of advice is don’t bait...... use traps. I had a rat under the floor in my old house. My mate, who is coincidently a pest controller gave me some free bait. The rat ate it and then died under my floor. The stench was incredible. We even questioned whether we could stay in the house. I had to lift floorboards and get into the 18” crawl space like a pot holer and search for the bastard. Hideous claustrophobic job. Eventually found it. Really pleased I asked for my expert mate’s advice:rolleyes:
The smell does actually go after a week or so; you also have to watch out for flies in the meantime

The smell does actually go after a week or so; you also have to watch out for flies in the meantime
After the death under my floor I researched this.... kind of got the impression a mouse dries out fairly quickly but a rat the size of a cat can smell for ages. We put up with the stench getting worse for a week before I decided to go underground. We couldn’t hold out any longer- as I said, close to moving out.

Uk rats prefer the ground floor fortunately. A rat hole on the roof is just bizarre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back