New plaster in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new bathroom put in including tiling and new plaster.

How long should I leave the plaster to dry given that it's my only bathroom and I have to use the shower so it is getting steamy everyday?

I will be using bathroom paint (assuming oil based) so should I prime the new plaster with PVA mix (5xPVA to 1xwater) or should I use emulsion primer?

Thank you

kt

Sponsored Links
It would be a very good idea to have an extractor fan fitted. It best to do this before finishing the decoration.

Otherwise instead of drying out, it will suffer from condensation, damp and mildew.

Don't use PVA under paint. The instructions on the paint tin will explain the mist coat.

Sponsored Links
Ditto JohnD - steer clear of PVA!

Drying depend on what sort of plastering you've had done, if its simply dry-lined you could start decorating next day, if its skimmed you're looking at a week and if its full depth on solid wall anything up to three weeks - I would imagine repeated steaming from your shower would extend these times.

You mention tiling, was this done straight onto damp plaster? Seems unlikely unless you've had cowboys in, makes me think more that you've got dry-lining in which case fire away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back