New Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys...im very frustrated at the moment.

I have recently had my whole has re-plastered (bonded & skimmed). It has been drying out for the last 6 weeks, and I am now wanting to paint it so that I can move in.

I have seen Homebase 'Paint for New Plaster'. Is this ok, if so is there anything to do before or paint straight from the tub??

Or should I use the cheap emulsion by homebase to do my first coat??

Or should I be using another product?? I have read about Dulux Trade Matt emulsion, but that was £35 a tin!!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I had my upstairs replastered last Christmas. I painted 2 weeks later using both Dulux and Homebase paint for new plaster. Both had to be thinned (instructions on the tin) Both have been absolutely fine.

The Homebase didn't cover quite so well. 2 coats was not enough.

You need a lot of paint as the walls just drink it up, I bought a cheap bucket to mix the paint in. I had trouble stirring in the water until I used a cheap plastic slatted serving spoon. This worked fine. I just added a little water at first and then painted a test patch and kept adding until it seemed about right.

The paint is a very matt finish with no vinyl in as this is the stuff that doesn't breathe (bad). It also means that the finish will not be very hardwearing or easy to wipe down. It's also considered to be very chic as it is "flat" (decorator speak) This is the spec for paint in art galleries as the walls mustn't distract from the art.

In real terms it also means that you'll have to plan on re-painting with normal paint in 6 months or so. Taking that into consideration I would suggest you buy homebase paint unless you are only saving a few pounds.

This subject is covered fairly thoroughly on some of the other posts- they cover the subject fairly well.

Sponsored Links
for what it costs use some decent stuff,10 litre tubs of crown white emulsion are about 12 quid in b and q to use as a mist coat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back