New Plasterboard and Plastering over existing wet joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to know what is best / normal practice for the following scenario.

A leaking flat roof of over 5 years + with water and damp penetriting interior ceiling.

Roof been re-felted and new insulation 75mm thich installed. The exisiting joists are wet. Some have been replaced.

I have been advised that we take the whole internal ceiling down. ( I agree ) and new plasterboard and plaster. I mentioned do they not need to dry out the joists first. I was informed they would dry out in time and it wouldn't matter.

My concern is if putting new pboard on wet joist then the damp will transfer into the p/board and new plaster and any paint that will be applied.

Logic tells me they should dry the joists first (Maybe with a de-humidifier assisting.)

Hope this is the right forum for this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't put any type of new plasterboard onto joists, that have had 5 years of being wet. Let them dry out first. Use the de-humidifier,, or let the fresh air/draught into the building to assist drying.

i may be wrong but if the joists are wet and damp they are going to shrink when they dry out and may crack the new ceiling

Sponsored Links
More to the point here lads, the fixings will prob rot away in the joists as they dry out. Sneeze near a drywall screw and leave it for any amount of time and it will rust.

Guys Thanks for the thoughts. You've flagged up some isdue i hadn't thpught of.

This is a great forum for hints tips snd advice

Keep it up

Pull down the ceiling and let the joists dry out, I doubt they will all be wet, it shouldn't take too long, now it's all in the dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back