New plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am looking to put a plug socket up on my wall for a wall mounted TV. Is it possible to spur off the attached photo of a socket which is close by?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5809.jpeg
    IMG_5809.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
Likely yes, since two cables likely a ring final or a radial circuit. But you will need to check of course, which fuse/MCB/RCBO switches it on/off is a good guide. The two systems shown here which what can be connected to them.
Ring final.jpgRing and radial circuits.png

Thanks. Yes it is on a ring which goes off with the rest of the sockets on that fuse. I just wasnt sure if there was a max amount of cables that could be in one socket.

Thanks. Yes it is on a ring which goes off with the rest of the sockets on that fuse. I just wasnt sure if there was a max amount of cables that could be in one socket.
The limit is a practical one, not a matter of rules/regulations - i.e. how many wires/conductors you can get into each terminal of the socket. There should be no problem with three- it's four or more than can be difficult (or impossible).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
By looking at that pic, you can't tell if it is in a ring, or a radial, or a spur that already (probably incorrectly) already has another socket on it. A spur from a ring will also go off if you turn off the ring.

The colours of the wires show it is quite old, but the grommets are correct, and most likely on a ring.

You can verify that with a continuity test (with power off)

By looking at that pic, you can't tell if it is in a ring, or a radial, or a spur that already (probably incorrectly) already has another socket on it. A spur from a ring will also go off if you turn off the ring.
Indeed, but it's only the (pretty improbable) last of those three which would be a problem. If it's a radial, the OP could still do as he proposed.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back