New Programmer... Prehistoric boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all - hoping you can help as I am totally ignorant in these matters :confused:

I have a Thorn Olympic 38/50B with a Smith Controls SL650/2 timer.

The boiler works fine, but the timer is one of those rotary switch-flicky jobs and has developed a tendancy to get stuck at 5.30am (when the morning hot water/heating should come on). This is tedious.

I have bought a Sunvic 207XLS to replace the knackered old timer, but I have no idea which wires goes where. Live and neutral are easy enough, but I'm at a loss as to what all the other wires do.

Do I just need to trace them back to the components they control with a multimeter or is there a quicker way to work out what goes where? Also, every other house I've lived in, the programmer has lived in the airing cupboard but here it's bolted into the boiler. Does this matter?

I took 5 wires out of the back of the old timer and attached them to the new one, and I could get the boiler and pump to fire up but the radiators didn't get hot. Missus none to impressed so I've put the old timer back on for now.

Many thanks in advance for you help. I can't afford a pro!

Sponsored Links
Really need a bit more info from you about type of system. Is it fully pumped? 2 motorised valves? mid position valve?

5 wires make me think mid pos. unless one of your wires is an earth?

L&N HW off HW on CH on usually N L 1 3 4

Sponsored Links
Thanks for getting back to me guys.

I seem to have 1 pump, a mid-position valve and no thermostat on the tank.

Wire 1 = Live
Wire 2 = Neutral
Wire 3, 4 & 5 = ? - All are lives coming from power leads that run to a junction box in the airing cupboard where I have 1 pump, a mid-position valve and a tank with no thermostat.

Please see attached diagram ;)

138000_137315_19655_61120260_thumb.jpg

Your diagram indicates you do have a thermostat on the tank, is there nothing on the back of old prog saying which connection does what?

Thanks for all your help guys. I cracked it by testing all the wires with a multimeter while flicking the various switches on the old timer.

Now all is well. :D

It is hard to see from your photo but as far as i can make out the existing programmer connected from the plug on the boiler.
New programmer wire from 3 on backplate should go to number 4 on boiler strip connector (HW ON)
Wire number 4 on backplate to number 2 on boiler strip. (CH ON)
Other wire is number 1 on backplate (HW OFF)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back