New property - can't figure out electrical heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I've just moved in to a new property with "all electric" heating system and trying to figure it out. The agency/landlord are of no help so trying here. Previously only lived in properties with the usual gas combi boilers so a bit lost. It's a one bedroom flat with two of us living here since a week ago.
Attaching all the relevant photos.

Questions:
1. There are two separate electrical meters {#2 and #4) - does this mean I need a contract with two separate companies? It seems it should be SSE for 'normal' electricity and Veolia for the boiler one but not sure if that's logical.
2. I've tested that both hot water and radiator heating works ok via the control panel in 1.1 photo (still need to figure out how to program it) while the separate "Immersion" button was off. What is the purpose of that "Immersion" button then? Though it's an on/off for the whole system but doesn't seem to be the case.
3. What's the most financially sound way of using the setup that I have both for water and radiators? Set a preset schedule for the water heating for e.g. 2h a day and keep the radiators always on while adjusting the thermostat in #5 as needed?

Seriously appreciate any information, tips and advise the pros on this forum can provide!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like your on a communal heating system, the box is a heat exchanger with a heat meter on the front of it, the immersion switches should be for back up.

I assume you are renting? The agency/landlord absolutely have a duty to tell you how the system works.
Does your rent include electricity as part of the rent or is it extra? (If the former then efficiency is less of a concern).

As Picasso said it's a communal / district heating system. The actual heating and hot water cylinder inside your property work the same way as a system with a gas boiler connected to a hot water cylinder would, so the controls are the same. The difference in your case being that the heat source (boiler) part is outside of your property. The Ultraheat 50 (photo 4.1) is not an electricity meter, it measures how much heat you are taking from the communal heating system for billing purposes.

The two channel programmer (photo 1.1) allows you to set separate times for heating the hot water and having the central heating on. The immersion is a totally separate device and it's normally used as a 'back up' to get hot water in the event of the failure of the main system. I have no idea as to the running cost of a communal heating system. But, with a traditional gas boiler it usually works out that heating the water with the immersion costs 2 to 3 times more, unless the electric meter has an an 'off peak tariff' that heats it overnight, such as Economy 7 or Economy 10 then the cost is probably similar.

Veolia are a waste company and they get heat from various processes and it's then used to heat water which is then pumped to homes. You can read more about how it works here.

Sponsored Links
Thank you picasso, oldbutnotdead, stem!

Indeed it's a rental in a block of flats. With your help managed to find the company responsible for the district heating, now once again the useless agency needs to do their part. On top of them still "trying" to get me the keys to the water risers so I can register with the water company.

You guys solved a massive headache for me, I'm truly grateful! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back