New Pump????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Flamingo 40 boiler for the radiators only. This morning a banging noise was coming from one radiator which is located in the same room as the boiler. Possibly straight afterwards the boiler cut out ie stopped heating rads. The pilot light remains on. I have played with it and found that if left for 10 mins if fires up again but then after a few minutes cuts out. I also noticed that when I rotate the control ( I think it might be the thermostat ??? It goes from 0 to max ) the boiler starts to work for a few minutes then it stops. I have arranged for a plumber to come tomorrow and he reckons its the pump which will cost £150.00 all in. Any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
If this radiator has a thermostat on it it could the the valve chattering. The valve trying to shut against the force of the pump can cause this.

The control you mentioned is the thermostat if turn it to around half to 3/4 that will do you for heating your rads.

Don't let the guy change the pump untill he has proven and explained his reasons to you.

Gasman ;)

It does sound like the pump due to the fact that none of the rads are working and the boiler is firing up at 10 min intervals due to lack of circulation.
£150 seems a bit high as he hasnt seen the job. A lot depends on whether the isolating valves work and if the system needs draining or not.

£150 for a new pump that costs £40 see this its far too cheap :LOL: I know labour costs £100 would be reasonable, but £150?

as the others have mentioned how can he tell what is wrong without seeing it? ( i know he is using "remote testing", but we won't go there) i am not a plumber or heating engineer, but there is a difference between them, i should ask for a heating engineer, and ask are they familiar with your brand of boiler, call several form yellow pages and see who gives the best answer.

I can apreciate you want it fixed asap, but do you want to get ripped off in the process

Sponsored Links
Why is £150 for pump change a bad price breezer? The pump may not be the one indicated on the specific website (I only fit Grundfos), has to be sourced (that takes time), along with running costs associated to business like insurance, comercial vehicle, vehicle insurance (which is lot more that private car), ACS and accountant's fees to mention a few. DIYer needs none of aforementioned until they hit a snag. You are in the right place to see the results of 'dabbling without knowledge' instead of getting someone whose does this for a living and has to be good to survive.

As for getting several quotes, only large companies can afford to do this. Look in the Yellow Pages. What do you see? A lot of 0800 numbers which belong to remote companies who sub the work to your local guy anyway. Dial any 0800 number and see what they charge for a quote.

I know what you are saying about all the things you don't see running of vehicle, person who answers phone etc, but £150 for a pump and should a plumber / heating engineer not carry a pump? (i don't know as i am not one)

kuro said:
the pump which will cost £150.00 all in.
Apologies,if I've read this wrong.
The £150 quote is for the pump + fitted as well and not £150 just for the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back