new rad, possibly primatic, couple of questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just on here looking for some advise, i need to chage a radiator as 1 we have both valves are slightly leaking, rad its self is rusty on bottom and possibly corroded inside as bleeding shows water very black (unlike rest of the rads) However, i think we may have a primatic cylinder, as we only have 1 cold water tank and a back boiler, now i have heard alot of horror stories about primatics wich has made me post here to clear a couple of things up, firstly the only way to compleatly stop water is to shut of mains under sink, so i was going to do this then open all hot taps, then close rad valves, unscrew valve from rad allowing it to drain, then open bleed valve, allow it to finish draining, then lift of, then attach hose to valve, Lockshield? or wheelhead? open valve and leave to drain until water stops. then fit new rad, alter pipes....
Then open mains under sink, about 1/2 way then allow to fill, with hot taps open. would this be right? Also when filling back up, should i leave the bleed valves shut on all rads untill its almost full? or keep opening and closing them until water comes out? know i have to vent them but unsure when to, after or during filling. after filling and water comes out of taps, then turn boiler on to "heating and water" and leave to warm up (i hope). would all this be about right?
Also iv heard alot of people say "rip it out" about the cylinder, cant do that as finding space for another tank is hard and dont have the money that why i need to do this rad myself, also i have done some plumbing, taps, bathroom.. sorry for the long and probably boaring post, thanks to anyone who can help or advise.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back