New radiator cold at the bottom on one panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I recently upgraded my heating system with a new system boiler (converted to a sealed system) and replaced an existing twin panel radiator in the kitchen with a Stelrad K3 triple panel radiator. The system was power-flushed as part of the changes.

Everything is working fine except that the bottom 30cm of the front panel of the new radiator is not getting warm. The rear two panels and the top of the front panel is very hot to touch as are both tail pipes.

Everything seems to point to sludge but, as I said, the system was power-flushed and it's a brand new radiator.

Do you have any suggestions as to why the heat is not getting to the bottom of one of the three panels on this new radiator?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you are not getting enough flow through the radiator. If there is no sludge in the system, either the radiators need re-balancing, or the pipework is inadequate to supply enough water for your new triple panel radiator. So the pipe may have too small a diameter, or too many radiators are already connected to it. A rule of thumb some use is that no more than 4 small or 2 large radiators (approx 12 kW) be connected to a 15mm pipe.

If you haven't re-balanced the system after the new radiator was added that would be the place to start.

Hi, I have the same issue with my triple rad front Panel, did you find the cause ?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back