New Radiator for our Extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

We have had a new extension built off of the kitchen and as a consequence the subject of heating it is giving me a few headaches.
The room is about 5m by 4m with a vaulted ceiling and large french doors in 2 walls. Obviously it is very well insulated. and joins the kitchen which has now got no rad as it was on the wall to be removed.

I used the radcalc and it recomended about 11200 btus.
I then tried another websites radcalc and it recomended about 8700 btus.
My builder then came back and said that 13000 btus would be needed.

We wanted a Myson round top rad to match our other newer rads and it looks like the rad would need to be 530mm (wife doesnt want it to high)high by 2000mm wide to get 11000 btus. This seems huge, we wanted to avoid having 2 rads.

So my question really is if I get a 9500 btu rad from myson approx 530x1800 is the room likely to be cold, I am wondering what difference 3000 btus make in real terms?

Thanks for reading, any recomendations?

Sponsored Links
1500x600 high, double panel double convector rad should give you the heat you need.

If space is the issue, fan convector might be the answer

The only Myson Roundtop (Premier HE) that gives anything like what you need (11200btus) is the 530 X 2165 Double convector.

Thanks for your replies

DP seems to be suggesting I will get away without going for the full 11000 btus +, whereas Gas4you is suggesting otherwise?

Wife will go mad if its not hot enough, but is also moaning that it cant be "enormous and ugly" as she puts it

Are all Rad manufactures going to have pretty similar btus for there size?

Sponsored Links
I'm not saying that the one I suggested is the right size for your room, just the nearest to your 11200btu output you said you needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back