New radiator valve too far to reach inlet

If you took the valve off, could you drop a bending spring down there and then put a couple of bends in it like this?

E5B9A734-240C-4BE6-A9CF-89A5B3CED03A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You might need to do the lower bend, remove the spring and then re-insert for the upper bend as it might be difficult to pull the spring out past two bends. You only need a couple of slight bends. Practice on a bit of spare pipe first.

Is there any pull on the valve and pipe and will it pull up any? If so then just a single bend so the valve lines up will be enough, I don't think you have the length of of pipe there to hand bend an offset in place unless your built like a $hit brickhoose ;) Otherwise cut a notch out of the floor to bring the pipe forward, just use a mutitool and put a piece of tape on the blade at about 30mm deep, if you're worried about going too far and catching the pipe.

Sponsored Links
1. Agree with Madrab. There's too little room to put an offset in, unless its made up in pipe independently then soldered in with a coupler.
2. Also agree with Madrab - the best bet is too ease the pipework in the floor and bring it forward.
3. If you do go for the offset approach:
3a. Use a spring, benders won't do it without kinking the pipe.
3b. Anneal the pipe first by heating to red hot. Doesn't matter whether you let it cool or quench in water.
3c. You'd need some careful soldering to avoid damaging the wall and dkirting.

I had to bend it the other way with mine when I changed an old steel rad for a modern one. Like mine, yours only needs to go a little bit. As said, just bend it!

I've bent it and everything works now, thanks.

The only issue I have now is that I get little bangs and squeaks every now and then from the pipes expanding/contracting in the tight space :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back