New radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I had a new boiler fitted :( would it be benificial to change my radiators for new ones? The ones that I inherited are just single ones with the shaped front "waves" Would I notice the difference in heat and costs?
If I do have to shell out for a new boiler, I might as well do the lot.

Sponsored Links
It depends as the old ones might be sized correctly for the room. Do you feel the rooms are cold? Do the radiators heat up ok?

rads heat up ok, they are just old, possibly 20/30 yrs, and have no fins? if thats what they are called at the back, just wondered if new ones would be more effeciant?

The only advantage is that you could have ones that best fit an available space - but then you always could have - just that most installers used to chuck in a one size fits all job lot :rolleyes: . Are your rooms cooler than you`d like them to be ?

Sponsored Links
No they are fine temp wise, I just turn up the boiler, when it works :( Its if they would be more efficient new ones, and if im having the boiler changed! the old ones must be full of "gunk" as I doubt the previous owners have ever done any upkeep, if the rest of the house was to go by.

Change the rads the room will heat up quicker and dirt from the rads won't affect the new boiler.

Plus new rads look a whole lot better.

I would consider not just new rads, but putting in a total new system if its years old. A combi operates in the region of 1.5 bar, if your system is that old and you put that pressure through it, there is a chance you could end up with a sprinkler system! I helped gut a house a few years ago, and we could litterally twist off some of the solder joints off with ease. Also if you have some really long rads, with the new double panels with convectors you can drastically reduce the length required.

I would consider not just new rads, but putting in a total new system if its years old. A combi operates in the region of 1.5 bar, if your system is that old and you put that pressure through it, there is a chance you could end up with a sprinkler system! I helped gut a house a few years ago, and we could litterally twist off some of the solder joints off with ease. Also if you have some really long rads, with the new double panels with convectors you can drastically reduce the length required.

Can't say I've had problems with piping of old systems. Usually a lot better
than the modern stuff where any tom dick and harry has had a go at it.

If I had a new boiler fitted :( would it be benificial to change my radiators for new ones? The ones that I inherited are just single ones with the shaped front "waves" Would I notice the difference in heat and costs?
If I do have to shell out for a new boiler, I might as well do the lot.

yes, yes and yes. you will be much better off with new ones

Yes but but you said much better and I asked how much better and you said because it is much better? How is it worth changing radiators which work at the moment to newer ones, which I agree look better?

more efficient, = less gas to heat the room(s) = less money to heat the room(s) which will bring energy bills down, which will complement the savings from the new boiler

each manu claims a diff ammount so hard to tell, ans suppose theres a few factors to concider, efficiency of old rads, boiler type, room size, heat loss of room, which is something beyond my capabilities

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back