New rads, wonky pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I’ve just had all my radiators and pipework replaced by a plumber. All the old underfloor copper pipes have been ripped out and replaced with plastic pipes. Here are some examples of his finished work.

In most cases the pipes appear bent due to the plastic pipe coil used, in some cases the new hole drilled doesn’t line up with the valve and in other cases were the new rads are wider than the old he has just used the original hole!!

Is this acceptable workmanship? The plumber is very experienced, came highly recommended and isn’t cheap. I would really appreciate others opinions on this and some advice on how to deal with this.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Why did you replace the underfloor pipework with plastic? Was there anything wrong with it?

Where he has drilled the new holes and the alignment to the TRV and lockshield is way out, thats not good at all.

Ooooh that's rough... Both the alignment of the pipes and the use of plastic. I'd have stuck with copper, especially where it's on show, though I never actually use plastic anywhere - nasty stuff for the DIY market IMO

I'd have stuck with copper, especially where it's on show, though I never actually use plastic anywhere - nasty stuff for the DIY market IMO

I suspect he didn't switch to copper because he misaligned the pipe to rads / didn't want to ask about drilling extra holes.

Sponsored Links
Why did you replace the underfloor pipework with plastic? Was there anything wrong with it?

Apparently all the original pipework under the floor had collapsed due to it not being fixed up properly, bad joins/solders etc.

The third pic is particularly bad. If he had used copper and not wished to make new holes in the floor, he could have used suitable bends which would have looked better.

Also, it would have been a good idea to have decorated behind the rad first ;)

To really answer your question, no, it's not very good at all.

He should have explained the situation to you, how he was going to use plastic to the rads (if he didn't already)

As far as what you need to do, you can have the pipework that comes through the floor boards changed over to copper, just make sure you use compression and not push fit connections. That way, as squeaky said, you can have nice neat bends in the copper that wont look like a monterous warp. Consider if you want to have new holes drilled to really square the pipework up so it is straight though.

At the end of the day though, it will still work just fine.

But he might be Gas Safe, the OP said he wasn't cheap :idea:

Id get him to come back and correct that mess, and replace the tails with copper.

Absolute xxxx. Plastic yeah ok under the floor, to bring poly through the floor is poor DIY, let alone charged for work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back