New range cooker wired into existing kitchen ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, great forum - learnt lots. In the proces of refitting my kitchen I have just removed the existing electric single oven and grill and adjacent unit. I was under the impression that the the cooker should have its own circuit but in my case the cooker is wired into the kitchen ring which has a 30A RCD at the consumer unit. My concern is that there are 10 double sockets on the ring which will power the boiler, washing machine and cooker as well as microwave etc. As I am going to replace with a range style cooker with 2 main ovens plus grill will this circuit be sufficient? Hope this makes sense many thanks for any replies.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
An electric range will require its own dedicated supply, a gas range will only use electricity for the timer and ignition and can happily be run off the ring circuit. It's also acceptable to run single electric ovens (<3kw) from a ring, but I wouldn't advise it if other high-load appliances are expected to be running on the same circuit.

Thanks for your reply. The cooker will be dual fuel so electric ovens, gas hob. Is a dedicated supply necessary? If so it means running a cable just about the full length of the house from the consumer unit. I have easy access under the floor though would it be OK to run the cable that way? I have recently had all the rooms plastered between the kitchen and the CU!

We need to know the stated electrical load of the appliance to be sure.

If its one electric oven and the gassy and timer electrics, it can go on a 13 amp plug. But if its both ovens or a hob too, it'll need its own circuit.

If you need tor un a new cable, think outside the box. Are there any pipes boxed in that you could run alongside? under the stairs? under the floorboards upstairs? Under the floorboards downstairs? Outside? (Yes, it is done, and acceptable as long as its in conduit!)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back