New Rehau window modified by fitter to fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just had some new windows fitted. Frames are Rehau.

One window had been incorrectly measured by the fitters (they supplied and fitted), and as a result was too high.

It seems after much faffing (I couldn't see exactly what they were doing but believe they were using a dremmel like tool) they got the window to fit.

After they left I have noticed it has been modified. The window frame is sitting directly on the new external sill which has been sealed to it using silicone, and what appears to be two drainage holes have been made and covered (please see photo)

The other windows have a gap between the base of them and the sill for drainage.

I'm not particularly happy as in my mind this has modified the way the window is designed to drain water. Potentially voiding any manufacturers warranties too?

Any thoughts please? I've yet to be billed as the fitter is returning to replace a glass unit in this very window that was cracked during transportation.

I also spotted a scratch on another glass panel. About an inch long and can be felt with my finger nail. Should I mention that too?
20230512_204340.jpg
20230512_204505.jpg
20230514_155022.jpg

Sponsored Links
What a shame as from outside it looks a tidy job, neat sealing up. Basically whats happened is when measuring up whatever the height you measure and write down is the overall height ****including the cill****, cills are 30mm thick so for instance if your overall height brick to brick is 1200mm you write down 1200mm including the cill so when the window frame is manufactured its actually made 1170mm, that then allows for the 30mm cill to take it to the correct height, adding a cill afterwards means the window is 30mm too tall, I suspect the surveyor didn't include a cill in his size. In terms of the drainage holes they've drilled holes through the face and converted the drainage from concealed drainage hidden in that gap you have on the other frames to face drain, face drain is an actual thing but is used when windows don't have a cill as such and sit directly onto a stone cill, they should have also filled the concealed drainage slots up with silicone before fitting the window otherwise alsorts of untold water ingress could happen if the window is still draining underneath trapped now behind the fake cill

@crank thanks for your reply. They measured the other window heights ok. I have to be honest I don't feel happy to accept the "modified" window. Relying on sealant that can't be accessed (Original drainage holes) is not ideal. Plus I'm not sure where I'd stand with any warranties.

Sponsored Links
@crank39 Some other issues I've noticed, in the downstairs bay, I noticed that when they offered up the pre-made angled cill (or i it sill?), it did not follow the line of the internal wooden window cill, so some wood was removed. Now when I look at the angles the window on the left side (standing indoors looking out) does not align.

Right hand side aligns:

20230515_204317.jpg

Left hand side is NOT aligned (This is also true from the outside brick work):

20230515_204337.jpg

Also, some plaster damage to reveals, but I kind of expected it, but did wonder why they didn't score with a stanley knife the edge of the old windows to sort of break the join, not sure if that would have helped. I'm partway through filling it ready to sand down.

20230515_204327.jpg

Also, noticed a fairly deep inch long score mark in the upstairs bay external cill. Not ideal but not really in the line of sight.
20230514_155506.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I think the cut down window isn’t acceptable, it should be re ordered.

the non alignment of bay and windowboard, I’d say is acceptable

the 1” glass scratch will fall within the manufacturer's spec

Sometimes, no matter what you do, plaster/render falls off. Shouldn't be down to you to fill and repair though, unless you agreed to do it

so for instance if your overall height brick to brick
Mum was getting new double glazing years back. When the salesman did his first approx. measuring, I asked if they wanted me to remove some of the existing cills so they could accurately measure brick to brick. It must have come across as 'don't tell us how to do our job mate' as he said no need, our surveyors are professionals.

The end result was windows that looked fine, however they needed extension/filler pieces top and bottom which annoyed me as I wanted as little plastic as possible at the bottom. A couple of years later one of the windows needed replaced and I requested they re-measure even though they had the original sizes on file. They (somewhat reluctantly) agreed and the replacement window looked much better, filling the space more.

The fitter said there were probably frames within frames and they should have taken me up on my offer to remove part of the cills to allow for proper measurement.

Sorry for temp thread hijack!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back