new ring for kitchen

jtc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I hope to install a new ring circuit for a kitchen extension. The cables will run behind dabbed plasterboard walls. After doing some reading on here it appears that I have to protect the cables or bury them below 50mm. What is recommended for protecting them, pvc channel/conduit or metal ? Also my cooker is gas and only needs a 13 amp plug connection. Will I still have to fit a cooker socket in case of future use ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
no need to protect the cables if it's dot 'n' dab providing they are located in the "safe zones" ( see the wiki.. //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls)

protection is only needed for plastered walls to protects against the plasterers trowel..

if you go outside of the "safe zones" then you need to either have it 50mm deep ( from BOTH sides of the wall ) or it needs to be in some form of earthed metalic protection ( steel sonduit being the usual )

the cooker feed issue is one that you need to ask yourself..

will you at some point be changing the cooker back to all electric?
do you intend to sell the house in the next 10 years or so? ( potential buyers like to see options.. they might prefer electric over gas .. )

Thanks for the quick reply. I see what you mean about the cooker, it is more to do with choice than regulations. It is not much more work to put in a proper cooker connection so I will probably add one. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back