new ring main in attick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi to all, my first posting after viewing the forum for a month. please can you check ive got this right. putting a ring main in attick, the design current i have in mind is 3000 watt/13A ive picked a 16A B type MCB, the cable is 2.5mm it will be fed through conduit in plaster which derates it to 18.5A. Also a correction of o.94 [35 deg. c] because its hot up there, putting the rate of the cable at 17.39A. so i times this by 1.45 to get max short term loading for cable, which is 25.21A. The 16A MCB i have trips at 1.45A above its face value so that will be 23.2A which is below max short term load of cable. Have i got it right, if so B.A.S pat yourself on the back its your link i learnt this from.

Sponsored Links
first question

if you have been reading the forums, how can it be a ring with one cable?

outrageous said:
hi breezer, the cable will leave the cu going to attick sockets then back to cu, 1 cable

lets see.

1+1 = 2

1...........................+............................1............... =.................2

oneplusoneequalstwo

1+1=2

1+1=2

1+1 =2

no, its no good, i have tried several times and ways i still get the same answer

to stumble at this stage does not sound good :cry:

Sponsored Links
i must of missunderstood a section i read about cable grouping that said 1 circuit is classed as 1 cable. so 1+1 is 2.. ok but have i got the right undersranding of the rest

outrageous said:
i must of missunderstood a section i read about cable grouping that said 1 circuit is classed as 1 cable. so 1+1 is 2.. ok but have i got the right undersranding of the rest

i do not wish to appear to being alkward, i really am trying to help :)

is this the first forum you have been on? its just that you not seem to read very well / type too fast?

my reply actually said
if you have been reading the forums, how can it be a ring with one cable?

there will be only 1 cable with sockets on it then it goes back to cu. does this sound right . i dont type fast

outrageous said:
there will be only 1 cable with sockets on it then it goes back to cu. does this sound right . i dont type fast

Yes - a ring has a cable going out from the CU,to a socket,then to the next one,and the next etc. then back to the CU.

The main advantage of a ring is it can carry current in both directions,giving a higher carrying capacity for the size of cable

If you are only planning on a couple of sockets,and low power useage,why not do a radial and save 50% of the cable.. :D

outrageous said:

that makes two cables then doesn't it, but you said it was one, fas i said falling down at this stage is not good, but i also agree with powertool. i woulld also wonder what you are going to be using in the loft that draws that much. lots of "garden lighting"?

thanks powertool i thought it was 1 cable that left cu then to sockets then back to cu

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i thought of a 16A MCB so theres plenty of power up there. there are 2 rooms

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

how do you know that im going to use garden lighting up in the loft breezer,

outrageous, may i ask that you read the forum rules, which are here in particular 10a

thank you

outrageous said:
thanks powertool i thought it was 1 cable that left cu then to sockets then back to cu

Yes, your definition of a ring final is correct, but i think Breezer was merely taking the p*ss and being quite pedantic with regard to your description of it.

i thought of a 16A MCB so theres plenty of power up there. there are 2 rooms

fine, as long as your not having any heating appliances up there. A 16A radial can be fed in 2.5mm² cable, it doesn't need to be a ring.

outrageous said:
so i times this by 1.45 to get max short term loading for cable, which is 25.21A. The 16A MCB i have trips at 1.45A above its face value so that will be 23.2A which is below max short term load of cable. Have i got it right,
No, you do not need to apply a fusing correction factor to a cable if you are using a cartridge fuse, mcb or bs88 fuse.
The only time you really need to use a fusing correction factor is when using a bs3036 rewirable fuse, a rewirable fuse has a fusing factor of 2, hence a correction factor of *0.725 needs to be applied to the rating of the cable.

so what benefits would i be gaining in wiring as a ring as apposed to a radial as suggested, i will not be using any electrical heating up there but who knows what would be used if im not in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back