New roof fitted but wet beams after heavy weather?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Just had our roof refelted, baton and new tiles fitted on our house about 2-3 weeks ago. We have had heavy rain and wind today and I went to put something in loft and just as I exited I notice the beam was wet. The membrane had a little wet patch by it where the baton gets nailed. I noticed this in a few places where the baton meets the beam so must be seeping in by the nail. Is this normal to happen with heavy wind and rain?

Sponsored Links
I have phoned him and he is coming back tomorrow. A few people I work said the wind may have blown rain up under the tiles. It only seems like two sides are like it. I will see what he says tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Hi. Just had our roof refelted, baton and new tiles fitted on our house about 2-3 weeks ago. We have had heavy rain and wind today and I went to put something in loft and just as I exited I notice the beam was wet. The membrane had a little wet patch by it where the baton gets nailed. I noticed this in a few places where the baton meets the beam so must be seeping in by the nail. Is this normal to happen with heavy wind and rain?

As others have said this shouldn't happen, the membrane should stay dry if the roof is working. If the membrane joints haven't been taped you can check for water from inside by sliding a length of stiff paper or card into the join and seeing if it is wet. If the paper gets wet during or after heavy rain there's a problem.

Are you sure the rafters weren't wet before? You had the roof replaced for a reason - if the rafters were wet from previous leaks it can take a while for the wet timber to dry out at this time of year.

If the tiles look generally good it may be leaking past ridge tiles which isn't too difficult to fix. Hopefully your roofer has some answers but if not post up a picture or two.

Looking at the pics I took when I went up there, I can't see any signs of tape but the rain isn't coming in between the overlaps of the membrane. It seems to be seeping in where they had nail the baton to the beam. Beams I don't think were damp before. I put my hand betwen the beam and membrane and my fingers were wet. This is definately only just started today with this rough weather.

... I can't see any signs of tape but the rain isn't coming in between the overlaps of the membrane. ....

Only mentioned tape because if there is none you can get access to the top surface of the membrane to see if it's getting wet, if joints are taped you can't do that. From your description - not wet before and coming through where the nails pass through the membrane - it does sound as though the roof is faulty.

Hopefully he will find the problem today. I suppose the first thing he will do is inspect the outside tiles and ridges. If that all looks ok then god knows. It seems strange its on the back and side only.

If you post a few pictures of the outside roof then one of us maybe able to spot something.

Condensation maybe? I don't use tyvek because I've had a few probs in past with it,it rained in when i felt n batten up, came thru batten nails and soaked all rafters!!!and had afew condensation probs with it also!maybe try and fit afew tile vents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back