New roof fitted but wet beams after heavy weather?

Sponsored Links
Even if the gauge is stretched a bit.It shouldn't leak
Need some pics of loft.We also don't use tyvek now,as it does give condensation problems.

Sponsored Links
Even if the gauge is stretched a bit.It shouldn't leak
Need some pics of loft.We also don't use tyvek now,as it does give condensation problems.

The whole point of exceeding a maximum gauge is that first of all you are not fitting to within the manufacturers specification and putting at greater risk the possibility of wind driven rain ingress. Penny pinching the gauge to save a course of tiles is not the right attitude for a good job.

The underlay serves as a backup (amongst other things) and water running back down the top of a rafter can still get in through the fixings. The majority of the rain will run down the underlay to the eaves into the gutter.

Compo work's neat :)
Tidy

Even if they have stretch the batten gauge it looks steep enough

Also have alook around your estate to see if any other roofs like yours have been done, And check how many courses they have on ? You have 12 if others have 13+ then there lies the problem ;)

The tiles do look overstretched against the ridge. For water to be coming in through the nails must be leaking like a sieve.

We built an extension last winter and it was around this time that we put a lid on it.

Similar layout to the o.p.'s, i.e. hipped roof, concrete interlocking tiles and decent breather membrane.

For at least two weeks or mebbe longer the building 'sweated' so much that the customer could hear dripping on a regular basis.

I'd stake my money that the dampness is condensation.

I'd stake my money that the dampness is condensation.
I'll take that one! How much? ;)

The OP's looks like a reroof to existing so I would not expect the drying out issues of a new extension. Also with condensation I would expect it on the underlay generally and running to middle of the sags, not where the rafter is.

Hi ya. Our neighbours over the road have a new roof and they have 12 courses like mine. I know that he used that Tyvek membrane. I also noticed it was pretty condensation in the loft the over morning. Can I do anything to reduce the condensation? Its meant to be a breathable membrane. I told the roofer not to come back until after xmas to have a look.

A couple of tile vents would to get some air blowing thru, also check the insulation in loft isn't tight up against the felt at the eaves.another thing you could check is the loft hatch,if it is condensation there must be hot air getting into the loft space so make sure that's insulated as well

Bit of an update. Roofer came round and looked in loft. Was baffled as to why the water was coming in onto the beams. Definitely coming through where baton nailed to beam. Got a ladder and we got on roof and checked roughly where the problem was. Removed a section of tiles and batons were dry and so was felt. No damaged tiles. I asked if he felt there was enough rows of tiles and he said yes. Said they were within the required limits (I also got old pic of roof which also shows it had 12 rows like new roof). He's told me to check it when we have no driven rain and see what it does. Its annoyed him that its happened. Loads of people at work have had problems with the weather we have down here. He wants to check roof again for when its coming in like it has been.

The roofers probably puzzled down to the fact a 4 hipper with no details doesnt leak! If the gauges aint stretched maybe the top battens too low with insufficient ridge cover.

Someone ask how thick the membrane used on the roof was. I said it was Tyvek Premium but didn't seem to be too thick. Said that if I had a thicker felt or membrane then when the baton gets nailed down, it would be compressed and sealed fairly tightish where as the thinner stuff perhaps doesn't compress down. We have a bad wind and rain in the south and the rain isn't getting on our ceilings. I know its not good for the beams though but hopefully they will last for the time that I plan to stay at the house lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back